• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Editing with a MBP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Gilp

Timbo
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have just bought the Mac book pro and struggling a bit trying to edit with LR using the magic touchpad . It doesn’t feel anything like a mouse in terms of using a brush etc. Do others have this problem or do you get used to it ? Should I buy a mouse and forget about using the touch pad ? Or something else ?

No input device is the best at everything. Apple trackpads are excellent for general use and for high precision in positioning and movement (like sliders), but not great for brush-oriented photo editing. If I’m going to do a lot of brushing on my MacBook Pro I use a mouse or graphics tablet.

Also, it’s not necessarily an either/or situation, because many of us edit with two hands. If I have a graphics tablet stylus in my right hand, my left hand is either doing keyboard shortcuts or using the trackpad for some moves that need higher precision.

One thing I find myself doing a lot in Lightroom is using the pen or mouse in one hand to position the pointer, and the trackpad with the other hand for clicking and multi-touch gestures like fast grid scrolling — using multiple input devices that complement each other, doing a lot more than either input device could do alone.

I have been using MBP’s for many years. Always with a mouse. I can’t get used to that trackpad.

No input device is the best at everything. Apple trackpads are excellent for general use and for high precision in positioning and movement (like sliders), but not great for brush-oriented photo editing. If I’m going to do a lot of brushing on my MacBook Pro I use a mouse or graphics tablet.

Also, it’s not necessarily an either/or situation, because many of us edit with two hands. If I have a graphics tablet stylus in my right hand, my left hand is either doing keyboard shortcuts or using the trackpad for some moves that need higher precision.

One thing I find myself doing a lot in Lightroom is using the pen or mouse in one hand to position the pointer, and the trackpad with the other hand for clicking and multi-touch gestures like fast grid scrolling — using multiple input devices that complement each other, doing a lot more than either input device could do alone.
Thanks Conrad very helpful.

Get a magic mouse, but don’t give up on the trackpad.
I use the trackpad exclusively on my iMac. It took a little getting used to but I was coming from a Microsoft world and two button mice. Apple changed all that because the user controls learned on Windows have to be unlearned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I travel with a mouse. I'll do light editing with the trackpad, but heavy stuff I want the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back