• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Editing smart collections - is there a smart way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have used John Beardsworth's idea for workflow for a little while to see if I like it.

However, having tried it out, I now need to do some housekeeping on it. I know what I want to do (primarily editing the "collection Source name"), and editing each existing collection individually will be relatively easy, if long-winded.

I was wondering if there was any way to export collections/smart collections, and edit them in a text editor for subsequent importing. Cut and paste would then make the job easier.

I believe that you can do something similar with keywords.

Any suggestions welcome. I've searched the Registry and the user directories, but so far I've failed to find any solutions.

Thanks

Colin

Just to clarify - it's the smart collections you want to edit in a text editor? If so, yes, right-click on them to export to a location of your choice, then repeat to import once edited.

The Files used by Smart Collections are structured text files. They use an XML language structure. Unless you are well versed in the rules for Smart Collection structured text files, you may be better off using the Smart Collection editor, especially for the more complex criteria. The Export/Import function mentioned by Victoria and the "Duplicate Smart Collection" function are a good way to create and extend existing Smart Collections.

Thanks for such prompt and helpful replies.

If so, yes, right-click on them to export to a location of your choice, then repeat to import once edited.

I did not even try a right click. So I'd never spotted that. And I can bulk export multiple ones. Thanks

They use an XML language structure. Unless you are well versed in the rules for Smart Collection structured text files, you may be better off using the Smart Collection editor, especially for the more complex criteria.
Now I've opened one, I see the format, and no I am not well versed at all in this structure. Thanks for the warning.

The Export/Import function mentioned by Victoria and the "Duplicate Smart Collection" function are a good way to create and extend existing Smart Collections.
This is where I come in. I have a number of Smart Collections where I want to change the "Source Collection" name. So all I'm look for is to Cut and paste in a new source collection name. That is manageable.

Thanks again to both. This will make my task a lot easier.

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back