• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Editing RAW in CS3 via Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
question -

when one edits a raw file, do you just chose the raw file in LightRoom, and then select edit in photoshop? Is that the same as using the Browser in CS3 and then opening the raw file directly? The reason I ask is that when I open the raw file in CS3's Browser, I get all the raw conversion options (white balance, exposure, etc...) whereas if I choose "Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom, and then open Photoshop, I don't get those options directly.

thoughts?

let me try to answer my own question and then add some more questions:

LRoom has already converted (aka "developed") the RAW file into a usable format (tiff? jpg? lightroom native? something...) so opening it up in CS3 won't bring up the "develop" settings of the Adobe Camera Raw converter. So I guess my question is which do you "develop" in generally? And is there a downside to having LR convert it and then continue to edit it on PShop afterward?

Am I making any sense at all? :)

Lightroom will pass a converted RAW file to Photoshop which includes the edits and adjustments from Lightroom, and not the original RAW file. That is why you are not seeing the ACR options like you would when using Bridge to open the same file.

Thanks for the reply... I editing my rambling with hopefully a few more coherent thoughts and questions. Would love to get your thoughts.

ifonline;2'5 said:
Lightroom will pass a converted RAW file to Photoshop which includes the edits and adjustments from Lightroom, and not the original RAW file. That is why you are not seeing the ACR options like you would when using Bridge to open the same file.

You are making sense. Which would I edit in? It depends on what I need to accomplish. Basically, I do all editing in Lightroom as that is what it was designed for: cropping, white balance, B&W conversion, etc.. However, if I want to go further and add certain effect, such as a grunge look, then I have to take it to Photoshop. Photoshop isn't used that much for me any more, but I need it for certain "advanced" edits, if that makes sense.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. So for doing things like color correct, wb, noise reduction, sharpening, etc., there's no reason I'd have to go in Photoshop?

The tools are similar if not identical in output?

Thanks again, and congrats on the new forums.

-- Joshua

ifonline;2'7 said:
You are making sense. Which would I edit in? It depends on what I need to accomplish. Basically, I do all editing in Lightroom as that is what it was designed for: cropping, white balance, B&W conversion, etc.. However, if I want to go further and add certain effect, such as a grunge look, then I have to take it to Photoshop. Photoshop isn't used that much for me any more, but I need it for certain "advanced" edits, if that makes sense.

joshua;2'8 said:
Ok, that's what I wanted to know. So for doing things like color correct, wb, noise reduction, sharpening, etc., there's no reason I'd have to go in Photoshop?

I don't think so, but maybe others will offer their opinions on this.

The tools are similar if not identical in output?

I believe so.

Thanks again, and congrats on the new forums.

-- Joshua

Thanks! :)

FYI, Yet another way to do LR to PSCS

In LR V1.2 you can set-up an Export preset to Export the Original Raw (with and .xmp sidecar) and pass it to PSCS, by putting an alias or pointer to your version of PSCS in the Export Actions Folder and calling it in the last dropdown of the Export Preset.

It should then open in ACR with the current LR settings and then you can take it into PSCS.

I haven't tried this myself. I have to reinstall PSCS on my Laptop and it is CS2, so won't handle all the LR settings, anyhow.

Hope this helps some of you that have wanted to go more directly to Photoshop with your Raws.

Don

If you make LR write Meta data to a sidecars (disk) then Bridge would see these settings as well ( in Lr go to file catalog settings then meta data settings tab select all then write these changes to disk
when you open a file from LR you are in fact brining it into Psh with ACR already done why you don't see ACR, and if you use sidecars PSH cs3 will see the sidecars as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back