• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Editing raw files

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRussoPhoto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
CC
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Been shooting raw for a while now and I still struggle with editing skin tones in Lightroom. Im using nikon cameras and when I shoot in raw I seem to get a red cast on skin tones a lot. If I put the picture control in portrait I get a much more neutral and more appealing skin tones. What would be the best way to get rid of the red cast on the skin tones when editing raw files? Would I just use the HSL saturation sliders?

Did you select a portrait camera profile in Lightroom?

To reduce red you can indeed use HSL and either lower the saturation of red, or change the hue the red tones very slightly, but Lightroom does not have camera profiles for no reason. Choosing an appropriate profile is the very first step when you edit images, not the last step.

To reduce red you can indeed use HSL and either lower the saturation of red, or change the hue the red tones very slightly, but Lightroom does not have camera profiles for no reason. Choosing an appropriate profile is the very first step when you edit images, not the last step.
I hear u, in my eyes it just seams like cheating, lol. Thank u for the help and I will give that a try.

I hear u, in my eyes it just seams like cheating, lol. Thank u for the help and I will give that a try.

The RAW image has to be converted to RGB pixels. To do this you need to apply some tone corrections, White Balance, Sharpening and Noise reduction. The camera profiles were developed for this purpose to correct the adjustments needed for each camera/lens combination. These are just the basic adjustments. If you shoot JPEG, the tiny processing engine built into the camera software does something similar because all photos start out as RAW. The advantage of Lightroom is that you can make these adjustment decisions AFTER the photo is taken rather that rely upon the adjustment decisions made in the camera setup BEFORE the shutter is snapped. Camera profiles represent the best effort minimum adjustments needed to get an image in front of the viewer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank u all for the replies, I always select the correct lens profile but have always left the camera profile to adobe color. I will start making that change first from now on and see how it works. Thank u all again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back