• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

editing in Photoshop without creating new file

PhilGF

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
So I've been using Lr since V2, during this time it hasn't been professional shooting. So when I want to edit in Ps I just edit in Ps with Lr adjustments. However as you know this creates a new file.

Now that I'm going to be doing some editing for a wedding photographer and I'm daunted with creating new files. I'll start with 1500-2000 and narrow it down to around 500 so i don't want to have more images. Up to now with a small collection it would be easy to just flag the Ps edited file and unflag the first one but I want to make this easier. Even with stacking it involves more work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The purpose of the new file is to have a container for your PS changes. It is PS that creates the new file. If you begin with a RAW file in LR, and your ACR version associated with PS is compatible, LR passes your RAW image and and LR adjustment parameters to ACR when PS opens. When you save the PS modifications, a derivative file is created and when control is returned to LR, that file is cataloged. This is really no different from making LR adjustments and having to save those adjustments in an exported file. The end result in either case is an original file with no adjustments and a derivative file containing adjustments.

If your original file is a SOOC JPEG, the same rules are required for a non destructive editor like LR. If your PS version of ACr is not the same as that of LR, then LR creates the container file with the LR adjustments before it is sent to PS, but the end result is still two files - a master original and a derivative that merges the adjustments with the original data.