Edit in Photoshop CS5 does not stack new file with original

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjamedia

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I am using LR3.2 x64 with PS CS5 x64 (under Windows 7 x64) and when I choose Edit in Photoshop CS5, edit the file, do a save, close the image, close CS5; end result is the new file sitting beside the original, but not stacked.

Any ideas why? Perhaps a setting I have missed? This worked perfectly in LR2.7 with CS4.

Thanks, Paul

In a folder. I am able to select my original and edited images and stack them manually - which is what I have had to do since I upgraded to LR3. They appear in the stack once I do it manually, they just don't stack automatically with an edit the way they used to in 2.7

Thanks, Paul

Paul,

Just to make sure, have you checked "Stack with Original" when launching PS5?

Beat

I don't have that option in the External Editing preferences. Where do you get that dialog please?

See the attachment for my dialog's screendump.

Thanks, Paul

Paul,

The screenshot is from the "Edit in Photoshop Elements" dialog, and I get this option for all my external editors when choosing "Edit Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". So I thought the Edit in CS5 would show the same.

Beat

Beat, when using the Edit In CS5 option there is a similar dialog with the 'stacking' option, but only for non-RAW files. For RAW, I had thought that stacking is always assumed as I couldn't find a way to say that I don't want the Tiff/Psd stacked with the original RAW.

However, have just discovered something that may be what's causing the problem here, so an independent verification would help:

1. Using "Edit in CS5" on a JPG, and uncheck 'Stack with Original' and when I click Save in CS5 the Tif is returned alongside the JPG, but not stacked....as expected.
2. Repeat using a RAW file, thus no option to select/deselect stacking, press Save and Tif is returned alongside the RAW, but not stacked.
3. Repeat 1, this time select "Stack with Original" and the Tif is returned and stacked, as expected.
4. Repeat 2, and hey presto, the Tif is returned and stacked.

Conclusion: the "Stack with Original" option, although only available with non-RAW files, is "sticky" in relation to RAWs.....so whatever you had the option set to the last time you edited a non-RAW file is the option you get when you edit a RAW.

Paul, suggest you try an "Edit in..." on a JPG, select "Stack with Original', then try the same on a RAW and see what you get.

[quote author=TNG link=topic=11714.msg7873'#msg7873' date=129'86461']
Beat, when using the Edit In CS5 option there is a similar dialog with the 'stacking' option, but only for non-RAW files. For RAW, I had thought that stacking is always assumed as I couldn't find a way to say that I don't want the Tiff/Psd stacked with the original RAW.
[/quote]

Thanks Jim, good work! IMHO, having the option only available for non-Raws when editing in CS5 does not make sense at all, I think it should be available whenever a derivate file is generated.

Beat

Nik, it seems the same on my 3.2/CS5 and my 3.3RC/CS3 systems....BUT I've just checked and it seems that it's the same using LR2.7 and CS3. I guess that was why I was asking if anybody else can verify this (just in case it's a problem with my systems).

@TNG,

Jim, you are a genius! I just tried the 'Edit in Photoshop CS5' option on one of the unstacked PSD files in my catalog, and the dialog box (which you quite rightly pointed out, does not display when choosing to edit a raw file) had the 'Stack with Original' option un-checked. I checked this, saved the copy in CS5 and voilà, it stacked the copy with the original. Then tried editing a raw (CR2 in my case) file in CS5 and now stacking is working fine for RAWs also. Looks like there is a missing 'Stack with original' checkbox on the 'External editing' preferences dialog. Hopefully Adobe will realise this omission and add it in a future release. The workaround is a gooden though. Thanks for your help.

Paul A

I think it can be considered a bug that the option is not presented (but respected) for Raw. You could report it with the link in the link bar of this page.

Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back