Edit in CS3 missing dialog box

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

... sometimes the optopn dialog box i.e edit a copy with LR adjustments; edit a copy; edit original : and most importantly Stack with original is MISSING!

This always popped up in LR1.x, now it jumps straight to PS!

I want to work on a copy and have it instantly available once I finish my work in PS. Now I have to re-import the PS version (which has been automatically labelled edit) back into my catalog folder.

Funny thing is that if I import a set of jpegs, then dialog box is available - not with Raw images??
John

Yes, RAW files are brought directly into PS and the resulting PS file is stacked with the original. If you edit a JPEG or PSD file then you see the dialog box.

I don't know why you are having to import the resulting file. When I edit in PS and save the file it is stacked with the original.

Why the difference in behaviour

..between RAW and jpeg. WHY do I get fewer options with RAW than jpeg? And yes they are not stacked - either when editing RAw or Jpeg (with the stacking option on). Something not behaving right..

quantum;22'18 said:
WHY do I get fewer options with RAW than jpeg?

Quantum,

In fact you don't have less options, you have *the same* options. Go to Preferences>External Editing and fill all the parameters you need for the RAWs.
You can configure CS3 as your secondary editor and save many different presets for your editing in Photoshop.

Regards,

Wassup with the editing procedure here?

Clicio Barroso;22'21 said:
Quantum,

In fact you don't have less options, you have *the same* options. Go to Preferences>External Editing and fill all the parameters you need for the RAWs.
You can configure CS3 as your secondary editor and save many different presets for your editing in Photoshop.

Regards,

Sorry but I don't understand when you say i have the same options.
The Primary editor is configured correctly. I do not get the immediate choice of working on the original, or copy or copy with lightroom adjustments that I used to get in LR1. Only if i work with Jpeg...

HOWEVER it appears that my laptop version does bring the -edit version back into LR - so my desktop isn't performing right..:?:

Well, with LR 1 and RAW, you didn't get open with original, either and for copy with or without adjustments you just send as is or a virtual copy of the other as needed. Choice of tiff or PSD is made in prefs.

Don

Problem SOLVED - Edited image not re-importing

After two calls to Adobe Tech support first one told me to delete my preferences files - no luck. Next one pointed me to this Adobe Tech Note:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb4'49'7

Setting up PS3 as 2nd editor worked and now I have my option dialog back so that it edits a copy and brings that back into LR.
Dunno why it doesn't work as 1st Editor on my desktop because it works fine on my laptop. They are working on a fix apparently.

Thanks for trying to help but, SOMETIMES it pays to talk to people in the know if you have that option.

Hope this may be of interest to others.

John

John,

The issue of not bringing the edited image back into the catalog is a known bug that Adobe is working on.

The issue of the dialog box for PS CS3 as editor 1 versus editor 2 was a conscious change. Many users complained that the dialog box interrupted the workflow and made the connection between Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop seem less than seamless. Since PS CS3 has a special relationship with LR it is editor 1 and choosing to edit there now just brings you in and takes you back (once the bug is fixed). With all the additional editors you can add (and you can add more than 1 additional editor) the dialog appears in nearly all cases because LR does not have that special tied in relationship with the editor. When you add PS as a second editor LR makes the assumption it doesn't know it any better than any other editor, hence the dialog.

Personally I think it was a correct decision and makes the workflow much more seamless. That being said, given all the local adjustments I can now make in LR I tend to travel to PS less often! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back