• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

easy steps to add gps data ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumped

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
so im using LR 9.2.1 on Mac. I have .jpegs that I do not have in my LR cat but on Mac in folders. I do not use aperaure or iPhoto. I am not interested in keeping them in LR but am looking for an easy way to add gps data that will be recognized in iPhone and searchable in iPhone and show on map in iPhone. Suggestions on a workflow to do this , please? Not a power user and only mildly intimidated when using LR.

Thinking - import into LR ( copy or move?). Keep as jpeg? Add data then export back to previous folder overwriting original? I would like to keep original created / date taken info too.

tks for any suggestions. Wm.

Solution
Good question so I decided to try it out with a JPEG that had no GPS data. It looks like you could accomplish this with a minimum of work in Lightroom Classic:
  1. Import the JPEG photos into Lightroom Classic. If you want the images to stay in the same folder; in the Import dialog box use the Add option (not any of the Copy options). On a Mac, an easy way to import is just drag the JPEG files from a folder and drop them on the Lightroom Classic application icon or window.
  2. In Lightroom Classic switch to the Map module, and for each JPEG file, drag and drop it on its location on the world map.
  3. When finished, select all photos and choose Photo > Save Metadata to File (or press its shortcut, Command-S). That will write the GPS...
Good question so I decided to try it out with a JPEG that had no GPS data. It looks like you could accomplish this with a minimum of work in Lightroom Classic:
  1. Import the JPEG photos into Lightroom Classic. If you want the images to stay in the same folder; in the Import dialog box use the Add option (not any of the Copy options). On a Mac, an easy way to import is just drag the JPEG files from a folder and drop them on the Lightroom Classic application icon or window.
  2. In Lightroom Classic switch to the Map module, and for each JPEG file, drag and drop it on its location on the world map.
  3. When finished, select all photos and choose Photo > Save Metadata to File (or press its shortcut, Command-S). That will write the GPS information (and any other metadata you entered) into the header of each selected JPEG file.
That’s it. No exporting needed because you wrote the metadata into the original files. Of course, you might want to do this with copies or at least make sure to back up the originals, until you’re fully comfortable with the workflow. However, exporting new copies is required if you make any changes to the image visually, such as adjusting color, exposure, cropping…

Now the GPS data should allow the JPEG files to show up on a map in any desktop or mobile app or web page that reads GPS metadata from images. You can verify that the GPS data was added to those files using an application such as Apple Preview (Tools > Show Inspector > GPS tab), Adobe Bridge (Metadata panel, GPS section), etc.

If you aren't going to edit or manage those images in Lightroom Classic any further, it’s OK to delete them from the Lightroom Classic catalog (without deleting the original files from your computer) or even throw out the catalog. But if you want to manage the images with Lightroom Classic, then leave them in the catalog and keep the catalog.

Solution
Thank you. Ive followed the steps but still cannot get the photo to be searchable or show location on map in iPhone. See attached screenshot showing on L side the finder info showing gps info overlayed next to the Lightroom gps info showing on the r side as verification. ive synced the pic to iPhone, restarted it and it indexed. Hummm??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.13.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.13.21 PM.png
    580.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.22.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.22.32 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 167
update: I synced a third time and checked the iPhone 7 again. Now showing. It also looks like its made a "Moments" category for 11 of the 14 images/.Mov in the folder - so maybe I don't have to update each? But, as just mentioned, only 11 show this way. Maybe ill wait a day or 2 and see if the others fall in.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 15.43.20.jpeg
    Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 15.43.20.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 163
Good, looks like you figured it out. Yes, when I did it on my iPhone, it took an unusually long time for Photos to index the photo, but it eventually put it on a map, so I think you are right that if you wait a little while longer all of the images will become geo-indexed.

Maybe you already know this, but when looking a a group of photos in the Photos app, if you tap the … menu in the top right corner you get a menu where the last item is Show Map, and that will show the photos on a map.

maybe this should be in a separate thread.... But, when I add an address to search and then tap on the marker, nothing loads. Is there something else I need to activate / switch on in settings? TksScreen Shot 2021-04-09 at 12.00.00 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back