Easiest Transfer of Images and Edits From Laptop to Desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasPilot

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Good morning.

I just returned from a 14 day trip. I downloaded my images to Lightroom every day to my laptop and did some initial edits and culling of unwanted images.

I just read the sections of Victoria's Lightroom CC/6 book that pertains and now not sure what is the easiest methods for transfer.

What I hope to do is just to integrate these new images, in their named folders and collections, with the edits, into the one catalog I have on my desktop. What is the easiest way to do this? I don't want lose the edits I made thus far.

Does it make any different that the laptop (where the images are now in Lightroom) is Windows 10 and the desktop is Windows 7?

Many thanks.

Ed
San Antonio, Texas

I just did the same thing by simply selecting the files in the laptop version of Lightroon that I wanted in the desktop catalogue and exporting them as a catalogue onto a portable hard drive. I then imported the catalogue from the portable hard drive into the desktop version of Lightroom. Everything was there with all the edits, collections, keywords, etc. I had one issue in that the directory structure was maintained from the laptop and I did not get the pictures where I wanted them (I suspect that was my fault). An easy fix to move them.

Bob has the right answer. And the solution if the worst thing that could happen does happen. Having the laptop catalog folder contain the picture folder would mean that you don't need to use the "Export as Catalog" on the laptop. If everything is in a package inside the laptop catalog folder. you can simply copy the laptop catalog folder and it contents to a location where you can use the "Import from another Catalog" with you master catalog.

That's good to know. So next time store the catalogue on the portable HD I'm using with the laptop and just import it into the desktop catalogue when I'm ready to bring it all together. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back