• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 May 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.3, Mobile & Desktop (May 2024)? for all the update news, including Generative Remove using Firefly AI and more!

Duplicates while extricating myself from google photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy Everds

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Hi--
In my quest to simplify and consolidate photos, I decided to move all images in googlephotos into LRC. I made exports of all images in google photos using takeout, and imported by year into LRC. All worked well from 1968 (why the heck is there a cellphone photo from 1968?) through 2022. However, in the 2023 folder from Google Photos, there are lots of photos called LRM_yymmdd_filename.dng, and many of these are in LrC already with exactly the same name. There are also LRM_yymmdd_filename.dng photos in LRC that are not in Google photos. I assume this is due to me deleting photos over the last several months in one place or another. It seems like the least risky thing to do is to import all the photos. I assume the ones with the same name will get an appended number (eg -1 or -2), and I can then just search and delete within LRC. Is this an appropriate step?
Thanks.

I suspect that in 2023 your started syncing LrC witgh Lightroom/cloud. if you took a photo with your iPhone. You probably have your phone set to save camera roll photos in Apple Photos which is why they are there. You may have also had LR/CLoud set to automatically import those photos into LR/Cloud (or you did it manually) and then Adobe synced those photos to LrC which is why ther are there.

Yes, thanks, I think that is probably what happened (if you substitute android for iphone and google photos for apple photos). So--if I import all of the google photos with the same name, will the new files get renamed with a -1 or -2 so I can just go in and delete?

Sorry, got my Apple's and Google's mixed up.

I think the first thing I'd do is see what synced from LR/Cloud to LrC already as it may very well be everything in Google Photos in which case you are done. However, it it's not everything, you may be able to find the date after which they all seem to be synced and then just export/import the remaining ones.

Another option is to pull all the Google Photos into LR/Cloud and just let them sync to Classic. If you want to not have to pay for their storage in the Adobe Cloud, see this blog https://www.danhartfordphoto.com/blog/2023/6/lr019-convert-lr/cloud-images-to-smart-previews

I'm not sure if exporting from Google and then importing into LrC will result in them being duplicataed with "-1" apended to the file name or the "don't import suspected duplicates feature in LrC's import dialog will skip them. I suspect that later but am not sure.

Thanks--I should have mentioned that, with the "don't import suspected duplicates" checked, the dup images are not greyed outlig. That's a good option--to put them in cloud. I'll have to think that through. I think the current images in LRcloud are a subset of what was in google photos. I should have kept better notes when I changed my procedures...

Update: I decided to split the 2023 photos from Google drive into time and origin groups (based on file names etc I could tell how they got into google photos).. The photos in google drive that had LRM in the name were either dups , which came into LRC with an appended -1 to the file number (There must have been something in the metadata that made LRC think they weren’t dups) or LRC files that I had deleted in LRC but not in Google photos. There were a bunch of miscellaneous files for screenshots, etc that I could just delete. I think I’m now free from Google Photos…I have changed my preferences so that images won’t go there. Hooray.

Good job! I think you've got it.

BTW, if you do tend to do some photograpy with your phone or tablet you may want to look at this workflow.

1. In LR/Cloud on your mobile device, set it to NOT automatically import everything that shows up in your Camera Roll
  2. If you find yourself wanting to take a picture of something with the mobile device ask yourself if you want this image to go into Lightroom or not.
  3. If you don't want it to find its way to LrC, then take the photo with the default camera app that came with your phone as you normally would
  4. If you do want it to find its way to LrC then take the shot with the LR camera app (I added an Icon for the LR camera app on my home screen right next to the icon for the camera app that came with my Android so that it is just as easy to press one as it is the other. You can also set the LR app camera on your device to capture in RAW rather then JPG.
  5. If you make a mistake and take a photo with the Phone's app but want it in LrC, Just import it to LR on the mobile device.
  6. If you have LrC set to sync with the cloud then those photos will just show up in Classic.
  7. Once they get down to LrC, delete them from the "All synced Photographs" special collection which will remove them from the Adobe cloud
  8. If you decide that you do want them in the Adobe Cloud, just add those to one of your synced collections in LrC and they will upload back to the cloud but will use FREE storage there.
The only downside is that some people care about (not me) is that step 8 puts Smart Previews in the cloud rather than full size images.

Hi--
Thanks for this detailed workflow and for all the help you've provided. I am approaching LRC organizational nirvana:). I think that #7 is scary--but totally understand from other posts that I would not be deleting the full files (on LRC). My LRmobile images are ending up where they should be--everything is being synced!

There is one niggly detail that is bothering me. In LRC, there is a collection called From Lightroom which I think is where LRC puts any albums created in LR mobile. I assume this collection is superfluous unless I make albums in mobile; otherwise I can ignore, correct?

If #7 scares you, then take a single garbage photo that has gone through steps 1-6 and just delete that one from the "All synced Photographs" special collection. Then you can satisfy yourself that it is indeed still in LrC, but not in LR/Cloud.

Don't get Collections and Folders mixed up in your head. Images that come down from LR/Cloud are placed in the FOLDER that you specify in your preferences. If you delete from this folder you are deletomg the master image and it's gone from everywhere. However, if the image was also in an album in LR/Cloud it will show up in an LrC Collection and it is perfectly fine to remove it from the collection and still have it in it's folder. Pay attention to the popup. If one of the choices is "delete from disk" then you're dealing with a folder and should be careful.

There is one niggly detail that is bothering me. In LRC, there is a collection called From Lightroom which I think is where LRC puts any albums created in LR mobile. I assume this collection is superfluous unless I make albums in mobile; otherwise I can ignore, correct?
Being a bit pedantic, "From Mobile" is a Collection Set, not a Collection. It's purpose is indeed to create a common place for any albums that are first created in any of the Lightroom apps and synced to LrC as collections. But that's not sacrosanct, as any collection that appears in that From Lightroom collection set can be moved out of it and placed in the Collections list wherever the users wants. If moved elsewhere it will remain synced (unless the user deletes or unsyncs it of course, in which case the corresponding album in the cloud will be deleted).

Don't get confusted between Folders and Collections. There is a FOLDER where images downloaded from LR/Cloud go by default. This folder is specified in your preferences. I forgot the default name from Adobe but it is something like "From Mobile" and is defaulted as being in your Pictures folder. using the Preferences dialog you can designate any folder on any drive as the target for these downloaded images. Being a folder, it is the actual storage location of those images. It is perfectly fine to move images out of that folder to other folders as desired.

I forgot the default name from Adobe but it is something like "From Mobile" and is defaulted as being in your Pictures folder
The default physical location is an obscure folder ('package' on the Macintosh, meaning it looks like a file, not a folder) called 'MobileDownloads.lrdata', located inside the Lightroom catalog folder.

The default physical location is an obscure folder ('package' on the Macintosh, meaning it looks like a file, not a folder) called 'MobileDownloads.lrdata', located inside the Lightroom catalog folder.
Johan, with all due respect I don't think you are correct that the file you referenced is the destination of the full size image files from LR/Cloud. see this thread https://www.moving lightroom what to do with mobile downloads lrdata . It seems to be some sort of temporaty cache file used to manage the sync process.

I did not recall the name of the default folder for images downloaded from the cloud as I changed mine years ago. However, I did a search and it seems to be folder ""Lightroom Photos" in the "Pictures" folder on your computer's hard drive. And, as I said in my prior post you can change the location in or folder name in the preferences

1689635939535.png

Attachments

• 1689634531181.png
    1689634531181.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
Sorry Dan, but Johan is 100% correct, the default folder location has always been Mobile Downloads.lrdata (package on Mac, folder on Windows). The location on Mac was in the user's Pictures>Lightroom folder, and on Windows it was in the user's AppData>Local folder.

However, the actual folder/package name was not shown in the Folders Panel, instead the Folders Panel showed each device that images were synced from as a "Drive" and the "Parent Folder" was listed as "Imported Photos" (though the latter doesn't actually exist).

I've just set the location back to default in the LrC>Preferences of the synced catalog on my test system, then imported a few pictures into the Lr Desktop app on the same system, and synced a couple of new images taken on a Samsung phone that I use for testing. Attached are a couple of screenshots showing the results:

snap1.pngsnap2.pngsnap3.png

So, if you are running a recent version of LrC, and a new kimage is synced down from the cloud and you "Go to folder in Libray" for one of those images, what path/folder does it go to?

It goes to the relevant "Imported Photos" folder (i.e. the one listed under the device from which the image was synced). That's all as expected, the confusion for many people is that "Imported Photos" doesn't actually exist, it's just the obscure way that the designers chose to setup and portray the downloads folder when the default settings are used. But all of the various "Devices" and associated "Imported Photos" are actually contained within the one "Mobile Downloads.lrdata package/folder, as my screenshots show.

Well, live and learn. I set my own folder for LR/Cloud downloads way back when I first started experimenting with LR/Cloud so I never observed this default behaviour you describe. Thanks for clarifying

Being a bit pedantic, "From Mobile" is a Collection Set, not a Collection. It's purpose is indeed to create a common place for any albums that are first created in any of the Lightroom apps and synced to LrC as collections. But that's not sacrosanct, as any collection that appears in that From Lightroom collection set can be moved out of it and placed in the Collections list wherever the users wants. If moved elsewhere it will remain synced (unless the user deletes or unsyncs it of course, in which case the corresponding album in the cloud will be deleted).
I go away for a day and look what happens! You all are a HUGELY wonderful source of information.

If I could ask for additional clarification...is there an advantage in putting LRmobile photos in albums (other than organizing when you're on a trip, for example) so that they end up in the From Lightroom Collection Set? I haven't been able to think of any unless you work a lot in LRmobile (which I do not). I keep my images in date based folders, and this works great for photos coming in from LRmobile as well. Is it correct that, for example, I wanted to delete a bunch of photos on my phone, I can do so in LRmobile and nothing will happen to those photos in LRC that I've already synced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back