• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Duplicates, MTSfiles and smart previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Pye

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
lightroom CC (and classic)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. So I thought my question would already be answered, but It turns out I seem to use lightroom in a way few people do. Im not a professional photographer and although I've sold photos , Im mainly just documenting my life. I prefer to do it with proper cameras and a little retouch in lightroom though. Thats why I thought cloudbased CC would be great for me. The actual sorting of my photos, while tedious, is one of my main points of using lightroom. Now Im in three conundrums. I have been saving my catalogue from old versions of lightroom through a few computer crashes, this has made the structrure of my keywords a nightmare, almost all of them have become imported keywords for example, so I was sortof looking froward to building albums in CC and beeing able to sort my keywords. So instead of migrating my Lightroom classic catalouge I saved all the XMT data to the photos and just added them manually to CC. This apparently rewrote the collection time for my videofiles, and some videofiles werent even accepted by CC (notably my MTS files from my sony camera) then I noted I have duplicates of a lot of photos and these turn out to be smart previewes from classic syncing. 1. Since I dont sell my photos I usually save only a very select RAWs as DNG (for printing) and export the rest with JPG mini after doing sparse postpruduction to have a lean catalogue maybe I should just go with the previes in the cloud? They seem perfectly alright for sharing among friends and family via linked CC albums? But I would like to share videoclips as well, and preferably be able to work from several computers... So is there an easy way to get rid of the previews since they duplicate the files already in the cloud? I tried searching preview with Sensei, but the AI was not smart enough for that... Sorry for rambling, thankful for any help.

Hi Jonathan, sorry we missed your thread.
I noted I have duplicates of a lot of photos and these turn out to be smart previewes from classic syncing.
You can filter those out. Click the little filter icon to the right of the search field, and then in the Sync Status pop-up, select Synced from Lightroom Classic, and then you can remove them.
Since I dont sell my photos I usually save only a very select RAWs as DNG (for printing) and export the rest with JPG mini after doing sparse postpruduction to have a lean catalogue maybe I should just go with the previes in the cloud? They seem perfectly alright for sharing among friends and family via linked CC albums?
If you're just going to use CC going forward, I'd keep the originals in the cloud, rather than relying on smart previews. Or are you hoping to continue using both together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back