• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Duplicated collections

rustyLr

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I've put together a large project shot over two days. I have a collection set called Show 2021 and under that collections based on two cameras (they have different lenses - I'm OK with this).

When I was going through images from the Show 2021 collection set (selected the folder), I wanted to create a virtual copy of one image, which I don't think you can do at this high level, so I right-clicked to select Go to Collection, but to my surprise it went to a Collection outside of the Show 2021 collection set. The collection was called 'Show 21' and contains about 4000 images.

Now I'm confused. I don't recall creating this collection, though I was creating these late at night after the shoots so perhaps I did create it.

Now I've got a mess of images, many reviewed, rated and with keywords, across these two groupings. Even if I move the collection 'Show 21' collection a long way from the Show 2021 collection set, if I review an image from the Show 2021 collection set > Go to Collection, it still sends me to the 'Show 21' collection. Any ideas on what's happening here? 'Show 21' isn't a smart collection.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Now I'm confused. I don't recall creating this collection, though I was creating these late at night after the shoots so perhaps I did create it.
Lightroom Classic would not create this without your help. Collections are really groupings with images assigned. When you moved this Collection you did not change any images assigned to it. "Show 2021" collection set. is a container of Collection(s), It has no images assigned to it. What are the names of the two collections inside the "Show 2021" collection set? Are they Smart Collections Based on each Camera S/N or Lens?
Are you using Date named folders generated by LrC on Import or did you manually create folders? If manually created, is one of these folders named 'Show 21' perchance?

rustyLr

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I realise this is confusing as its not behaving as expected from Lr. All collections are manually created. The two collections inside Show 2021 are manual creations of the two camera body imports (all imports are manual), MkII and MkIV. Its just the way I work. (The Canon MkII body is old and combersome so I keep its output separate). The issue seems to be that the Show 2021 Collection Set somehow believes that the collection Show 21 is inside it, when its not. Given there is unlikely a quick fix, I'll try to merge the collections.

What is the best way for me to compare and combine these collections to merge them together? I have dual monitors but I gather you can't have dual Grid windows, just split windows?

rustyLr

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've done some more digging. There is some issue with all the manual collections that is probably to much hassle to work out. I looked at the frame count of the source collection and then created smart collections based on each day of the two day shoot (no other photos on those days). The numbers add up. The manual collections I've somehow messed up in their late night post-shoot assembly.

What are the settings, ratings, colours for each and every frame 'attached' to? Is there a way I can delete and rebuild the manual collections without losing all the markings and adjustments assigned to each and all images?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
What are the settings, ratings, colours for each and every frame 'attached' to? Is there a way I can delete and rebuild the manual collections without losing all the markings and adjustments assigned to each and all images?
All of the markings and adjustments are stored with the other image metadata information in the catalog file. Nothing is ever stored in a collection In fact just the opposite/ A collection assignment is stored along with other metadata in the catalog file.

Create another empty collection Static Collection (or two)and drag the images that you want into it.

Or create two smart collections: Each for each collections unique Serial number . Use the following criteria:
{Camera Serial Number}{Is}{ (thisCamera'sSerialNumber)}
{Capture Date}{is}{2021-mm-dd}. using the capture date for the shoot.

rustyLr

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks - that's good info to know. Also the smart collection constructions are helpful as they can take a few goes to get right