• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Duplicate LR Mobile sync folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

camner

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. iOS
This is something that's been going on for quite a while. I use LR Mobile and Adobe Cloud to sync photos from my wife's and my iPhones to LR Classic.

As one can see from the screenshot below, I have two folders for my iPhone, and two folders for my wife's iPhone.
2020-08-06_LR1.jpg

As you can see, all the folders have images in them. My workflow involves periodically moving ALL of the photos from the sync folders into my iMac's folder tree, so the folders can be empty. Yet, as my wife and I take more iPhone folders, all 4 folders start to get images in them, so they are all active.

Our our iPhones, there is a single sync folder for each of our phones; it's just in LR Classic on my iMac that the duplicate folders appear.

I have tried (several times) turning off sync, removing all the folders, and starting over again. Initially I get two folders, one for my wife and one for me, but inevitably, after a while each iPhone will have a second folder associated with it.

In the grand scheme of things, this is only a minor annoyance, but it. still would be nice to resolve, if possible.

Well, changing the location for Lightroom's Synced images (it was unchecked before), didn't do anything at all as far as the duplicate folders were concerned.

I was thinking about completely disabling/stopping syncing and setting it up from scratch again, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that.

In Sync preferences, there is a button for Delete All Synced Data. That seems to be something that would be part of the process.

When I right click on one of the folders in question (e.g. "R iPhone XS"), in the contextual menu there is a "Remove" item, but that doesn't do anything at all.

Well, changing the location for Lightroom's Synced images (it was unchecked before), didn't do anything at all as far as the duplicate folders were concerned.
It changes the download location for any new images. It doesn't do anything with the existing photos. You have to manually move those.

And after you've moved the images in the iPhone devices to an ordinary folder (perhaps the same one you assigned in the sync preferences), then you can remove each device completely by removing the (now empty) 'Imported Photos' folder from the folder panel (right-click on it).

And after you've moved the images in the iPhone devices to an ordinary folder (perhaps the same one you assigned in the sync preferences), then you can remove each device completely by removing the (now empty) 'Imported Photos' folder from the folder panel (right-click on it).
This didn't work for me. I emptied out the folders in question, but when I selected "Remove" from the contextual menu, the folders didn't go away. It may have something to do with the fact that these folders are synced albums from Adobe Cloud.

I decided to take the nuclear option...after making sure that all images I wanted to be in LR Classic had been moved to the appropriate folder, I deleted the LR app from both iPhones. I went to Lightroom on the web and deleted the synced albums from there. On my Mac, I paused Sync and selected "Delete all synced data."

I downloaded to the iPhones the LR app from Apple, created two albums, and set one of the albums (different one for each iPhone) to auto import from the Camera Roll (which I do as the method of getting iPhone pictures in LR Classic.

Finally, to get rid of 4 folders, I had to navigate to them on the Mac and trash them and then restart Lightroom. Even then, one of the 4 folders still showed up in LR on the Mac! I couldn't trash the folder again (it was already trashed and the trash emptied), so I deleted the containing folder. Finally, after a LR restart, the recalcitrant last folder was gone...Whew!

After a brief test of taking photos with each iPhone and seeing what happened, I'm at this point a happy camper. There is only 1 folder for each iPhone, and not a second folder with the same name for each iPhone. Time will tell if I have a cure or a temporary reprieve.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back