• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Duplicate and Triplicate Imports since 11.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.rogers

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi All, Can you advise on a couple of issues please?

1) Since the June upgrade to 11.4.1, I find that I get duplicate and sometimes triplicate imports of the same image. I use the SD card port on my MacBook Pro and load directly across to an external hard drive for the master images. I am an experienced user of Lightroom Classic and have never seen this before. Is this an undesirable feature or has a settings change come about?

2) Also since the upgrade of both Lightroom and Photoshop in the same tranche, every time I go out to edit in Photoshop ( latest version), I get a message which says Lightroom needs ACR 14.4.1 and I should upgrade, Yet it IS upgraded and has 14.4.1!!! ? Any ideas?
Cheers
ChrisR

1) Since the June upgrade to 11.4.1, I find that I get duplicate and sometimes triplicate imports of the same image. I use the SD card port on my MacBook Pro and load directly across to an external hard drive for the master images. I am an experienced user of Lightroom Classic and have never seen this before. Is this an undesirable feature or has a settings change come about?
It's a bug that is under investigation, because it is hard for Adobe to replicate it. Some people see it, others with apparently the same setup, don't.

Thanks Johan, glad to understand it's not me! I also understand this could be difficult to find since I think it's sporadic and doesn't always do this. I'm sure I've had occasions where it didn't do it enough to make me doubt my input method and question what I was doing wrong! However the majority of occasions it does it for me. Will await the fix
Cheers ChrisR

As a temporary measure, is it feasible to copy the images from card to computer outside of Lr and once in the desired location import to Lr using Add rather than Copy. Having the files already copied to their destination might avoid the bug scenario.

There are lots of reasons why you might not want to do this, including disrupting your workflow, file naming convention, etc.. It sounds like a horrible bug and would hope this will get priority attention by Adobe.

I think the copy from card to disk might now be running on multiple cores. Is there any chance your destination drive is filling up or is it worth doing a health check on the disk. Something is causing the copy process to pause .... and maybe letting another core or thread try to copy at the same time. This is just wild speculation, but I would eliminate any possible causes arising from the destination disk.

Does your destination disk need a power supply, is it connected via a hub or is there a faulty cable. Also, if using a USB C cable, it may not conform to the standard required for computer port or the disk drive. I have a collection of USB c cables from pre Thunderbolt or USB 3.1 or 3.2 which would be unsafe to use with a modern drive or ports.

Hi Gnits, thanks for your reply and suggestions. I can try copy and add as suggested but that in itself doubles the workflow by double handling the files.
I've checked the disks and they seem fine and are less then half full (4Tb) and the supply to them is independent via a powered hub.

I also checked the files loading and they are consecutive on the drives with no duplication there. It's just the Thumbnail builds which seem to duplicate in Lr.

I'll keep looking thanks
ChrisR

If the issue is confined to thumbnails then I suggest you delete the preview files. Lr will rebuild them as it needs them, or you can build them overnight as a batch job.

The preview files can sometimes accumulate junk, which can lead to unpredictable behaviour.

I clear out my preview files every 18-24 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back