Dropbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP24

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hello,
I have LRCC 6.8 and I am running out of space on my 2012 Macbook Pro intermittently to a critically low amount while using LR, causing it to nonfunction until I delete files from the computer. Dropbox is using 141GB out of the 251GB of flash storage. Since Dropbox is cloud based why does it take up much if any space on the computer? Isn't that the point of moving files to the cloud?
Thanks.

You misunderstand the function of Dropbox. Dropbox is not a 'Cloud based' storage solution. Dropbox is a service that synchronises files between a local folder and a cloud server. Anything you have in Dropbox is also on your local disk. You can use 'Selective Sync' in Dropbox to avoid downloading folders that were uploaded from another computer, but you can't work with files that are only on the Dropbox servers.

If you want cloud based storage, take a look at iCloud. It is not cheap, but (at least with MacOS (10.12)), Apple has integrated the iCloud folder into the local environment.

You misunderstand the function of Dropbox. Dropbox is not a 'Cloud based' storage solution. Dropbox is a service that synchronises files between a local folder and a cloud server. Anything you have in Dropbox is also on your local disk. You can use 'Selective Sync' in Dropbox to avoid downloading folders that were uploaded from another computer, but you can't work with files that are only on the Dropbox servers.

Thank you for responding. I misunderstood and did think Dropbox was cloud based storage. I still don't understand exactly how LR and Dropbox interact. I have my files on external drives from which I do my LR editing. The files are not on my computer. I do backup the catalog to Dropbox so that I can work on both the Mac as well as with my laptop whether my external drive is connected or not since I have built smart previews. Am I correct then that what you are saying is that when Dropbox "synchronizes" it is actually downloading files so they can be worked on and stored in Dropbox, but cannot be downloaded from Dropbox should I lose my files on my hard drive. And therefore that is why Dropbox takes up so much storage space on my computer? Does it automatically download all the folders in my catalog or just the one I am working on at the moment, and if so is the way around this to selectively sync only the files I want to work on and then delete them from Dropbox once I no longer need to work on them in order to free up space? And could I just keep a backup of the catalog on Dropbox without all the files until needed to be worked on?

Thank you for the help. And so sorry for all the questions!

First, you also need to understand how Lightroom works. Lightroom stores your edits as instructions in the catalog. It leaves the images untouched. That's why your setup in Dropbox works. The way you've set things up, Dropbox only synchronizes the Lightroom catalog, not the actual images. Your images or image folders are not downloaded by Dropbox (nor by Lightroom). So your edits are synchronized, because the catalog folder is synchronized. And because you've got smart previews in that folder, that's all you need on the other computer. If you do need the images for some reason (for example if you want to export an image at full resolution), then you can connect the external disk with the images to that other computer.

This is how Dropbox works: Dropbox simply copies the contents of your local Dropbox folder to its servers. Then it keeps the files in sync, meaning that if you edit a file in your local Dropbox folder, that file automatically gets copied again to the server to replace the old server copy. And if a file on the server is newer than the copy on your local computer (because you use Dropbox on more than one computer and you've edited that file on the other computer), then Dropbox will copy the file from its server to your local computer to replace your local copy. That means you always have the latest copy on both your local computer and on the Dropbox server. It also means that all your Dropbox files have local copies, that's why Dropbox takes a lot of space.

You can exclude certain folders from synching to all your computers by using 'Selective Sync', but they will always be synched to at least one computer. Dropbox cannot be used to save space on your local computer by moving files to the cloud, because those files would then be unavailable to that computer. Some other cloud solutions (Apple iCloud) do allow this by mounting the server as a virtual local disk, Dropbox does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back