dropbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrid

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Is it a good idea to put the original fotos on dropbox (first choice) and an external hard disc ( second choice)

Did you know that bold letters is the equivalent of SHOUTING on a forum? It is considered bad form.

Sorry I did not know and i was unaware of my bold letters, sorry to offend you Colin

Is it a good idea to put the original fotos on dropbox (first choice) and an external hard disc ( second choice)

It depends on what you want to do with them and why you consider Dropbox. Dropbox uses a local folder and syncs the content of that folder to its servers, so if you want to store the images in Dropbox to save space on your local disk, that won't work. If you want to store them in Dropbox so you can also access them from another computer (and perhaps also store your Lightroom catalog in Dropbox) then that will work.

Thank you Johan, that is a good answer. I did it to save space on my disc? So the best thing to do is to put them directly on a hard disc to save space

Thank you Johan, that is a good answer. I did it to save space on my disc? So the best thing to do is to put them directly on a hard disc to save space

Yes, putting them in Dropbox doesn't save space on your hard disk. If you want to save space, put them on an external disk.

Do you use 2 different external discs to backup? (by the way a beautiful picture of the cheetah)

Do you use 2 different external discs to backup? (by the way a beautiful picture of the cheetah)

I use much more than that, but in case of an internal disk and one external disk I would indeed use two external disks to backup each of them to its own backup disk. The advantage of that is that you can use two different backup schedules. An external disk that only contains your images needs to be backed up again only after you added some images. Your internal hard disk needs to be backed up at least once per day, but it's better to use Time Machine that uses a sophisticated schedule.

I have time machine and now busy to copy everything from dropbox to hard disc

I have time machine and now busy to copy everything from dropbox to hard disc

What do you mean with 'copy everything from Dropbox to hard disk'? Everything you have in Dropbox is already on your hard disk too (in the folder called 'Dropbox'), unless you are using selective sync settings... Or do you mean copy to the external hard disk?

and when everything is copied I will use selective sync settings, I have to protect space on my computer, thanks again for the advice

still one question, I am installing lightroom on a new computer. Can I now import the fotos from the external hard disk (instead of dropbox) or will the fotos be missing?

I use TimeMachine which is designed to back up all of your important files to one disk. I have an 8TB EHD (that is one of my TimeMachine targets), I backup three different mounted disks using TimeMachine for a total backup size of 2.6TB. So if you want to use TimeMachine or anything similar, then you need a target disk that is large enough to accommodate ALL of the data that you need to backup.

still one question, I am installing lightroom on a new computer. Can I now import the fotos from the external hard disk (instead of dropbox) or will the fotos be missing?

Yes, you must import the images from the external disk if you start a brand new catalog. But don't you have an existing catalog (from your old computer)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back