Drobo or G-Safe ?? other options ??

I

imr

Hi to all,

I am using an external drive iomega (5'' Gb with Firewire 8'') for the raw files and my lightroom catalogue is stored on my local drive (iMAC).

I am thinking to change my external drive for: G-SAFE or Drobo
I would like to have an automatic back-up in a secondary drive this the reason to change... I have doubts betwen both.

If somebody has experience with these units or with others units... please tell me... thanks in advance.

Regards
Ignacio.

rebop

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Drobo or G-Safe ?? others options ??

Check ou tthe ReadyNas Duo. I think its abetter product and very pleased with mine. I have the front button BACKUP set to back all of my images as well as scheduled full system backups and they are all on Raid X so more than one copy kept. Their support is excellent as ell.

Did I mention it is less expensive as well if you shop for deals?

Worth looking at.

~Bob

R

rlhess

Drobo or G-Safe ?? others options ??

Hello, Ignacio,

I'm new to this forum. I do audio tape restoration for a business and about a year ago bought a pair of Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ with 4x5'' GB drives each. I'm running them as RAID-5 and one backs up the other. One is in my neighbour's home, connected via a fibre optic link. The available capacity is about 135' GiB (binary counting).

I started my slide scanning project and needed to replace older NAS boxes (going back to 2''3--LaCie Ethernet Disks) and chose a pair of Thecus N52''Pro units with five slots. I populated them with four 1 TB drives for an available capacity of about 27'' GiB. Again, one is off-site.

Here is a discussion on my blog of what I'm doing in a bit more detail. There is no real difference between raw images and audio. Audio takes between 5-15 MB/minute/channel, raw images are between what 1'-2' MB? Maybe a bit more? (My D2'' runs about 16.5 MB including approx 5'' K in-camera JPEGs per shot.) I enjoyed the analogy with the D1'''s raw images which were about 1' MB that every time I pressed the button, I filled up the equivalent of the entire hard drive of the original IBM PC-XT!

I don't have a good solution for backup on Mac, but on Windows, I use timed and manually initiated backup with Vice-Versa Pro. I found the Shutdown command for Windows so I run VVPro manually on my main audio machine when I'm done for the night and it runs a command at the end that shuts the machine down. I have the same installed on the photo machine, but I'm currently letting it run all night since I try to fill the slide feeder before retiring.

I really like the NAS boxes -- we have eight XP computers here for a family of four -- long story -- so we're a bit atypical. The main backbone is gigabit Ethernet. Six of our computers are 2.8-3.2 GHz, and running 1-3 GB of RAM. I haven't made the leap into CoreTwoDuo land, but I've been underwhelmed by a few systems I've used that were supposed to be screamers...but that could also be Vista.

Cheers,

Richard