Drive designation changed and now can't access images

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I keep my images on an external drive which has been identified as "D" in the Lightroom catalog in the past. I now find that my computer recognizes that drive as "E", and I cannot access my files because Lightroom thinks they are in "D". What do I do?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Right-click on the top folder, choose 'Find Missing Folder' and in the dialog that follows select the corresponding folder on the E: drive. Done. In the future it may be an idea to fix the drive letter of that disk, so it won't happen again. Set it to a higher letter, for example P: for 'Photos'. How To Change a Drive Letter (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP) - LifeWire

tonto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Actually, I found a fix myself. A Google search told me to go to Windows Disk Management and to right-click on the drive E and then a menu would let me change it to D. I tried it and it worked.

Gnits

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Now that you have had this experience and know how to fix it, a better long term solution is to change the drive letter to one much later in the alphabet. I use P ( for Photos).

The reason is that at some stage in the future you will have a repeat problem, for example plugging in a USB fob that already has a drive letter of D. When your EHD is then plugged in it will again have to use another letter.

If you change your drive to a different letter, say P, then you will have to tell to Lightroom to look for your images on the P drive. That is simply done as a once off task. In Grid View , in the Folder panel, you will see a ? beside your D drive. Click on this will give you a dialogue to change this to your P drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.