• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Drag and drop photos to folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathyclemens

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic newest on Creative Cloud
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Sometimes photos in Lightroom Classic do not move they copy. I do not want them copied, I want them moved (which it usually does, but for some odd reason today 7 pictures just copy). Does anyone know why this might happen?

It sounds like you dragged the images to a collection instead of a folder. Lightroom never copies photos when you drag and drop them into a folder.

It usually moves them. This is so strange. I just re-started the computer and dragged and dropped another picture into the same folder (it is a sub folder) and it copied it again. I guess I can just delete one of them, I’m just worried it will delete both if I delete from disk... and worry it will keep using up extra space on my computer (nearly maxed out, I need to delete some duplicate photos - not create more duplicates) if I remove from Lightroom. I’m feeling frustrated after hurdling other computer issues this week. I’m deleting duplicates in my Mac documents little by little with duplicate finder.

It usually moves them. This is so strange. I just re-started the computer and dragged and dropped another picture into the same folder (it is a sub folder) and it copied it again. I guess I can just delete one of them, I’m just worried it will delete both if I delete from disk... and worry it will keep using up extra space on my computer (nearly maxed out, I need to delete some duplicate photos - not create more duplicates) if I remove from Lightroom. I’m feeling frustrated after hurdling other computer issues this week. I’m deleting duplicates in my Mac documents little by little with duplicate finder.

Lightroom can only “Move” images in the folder panel. Copy would have 2 copies of the same image in the catalog sand this is not permitted by the way the process is constructed. IF your filesystem is set to read only on a folder, Move is not permitted but copy is. Lightroom throws an error when this is encountered.

Lightroom uses the filesystem commands “MOVE” and “DELETE”. “COPY” is not in its vocabulary.
In the Filesystem the “MOVE” operation is actually a “COPY” followed by a “DELETE” So that would be why you would get only a COPY if using the Filesystem in a restricted environment.

Please post a screen shot of your folder panel and the grid vies showing the same file in both folders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone a 'beginner' also should not be fooled by the preference option to "Show Photos in Sub-folders"
If this is 'ON' then the same photo can appear as if in a Parent folder as well as a Child folder. When it is not!

Thank you! I feel so much better. It is nice hearing that Lightroom Classic does not like to do that anyway.

It was the show pictures in sub folders thing... I checked the file on my computer and sure enough they were not there once I checked that off.

I had re-set Creative Cloud app a couple times as it was asking me to, maybe it changed that or something.

I have Lynda.com, I just need to spend more time with learning this. I need to do some basic training in these programs. I think I had learned that in a video long ago, but it didn’t stick.

Thank you! I love this resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back