• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Downloading photos to LR on external drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mblake

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 7.3.1 subscription
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi! I'm getting ready to install LR on my MacBook Pro, but I want to have it all on a WD portable drive instead of storing the original photos on my laptop.
I am a little confused about how to add photos.
Do I have to download the original photos ( from SD cards or folders) into folders on my external drive first and then import them to the catalogue ?
Or do I import them directly to the catalogue using the MOVE or COPY commands and this will ensure they are referenced from my HD?
I hope that my question makes sense and someone can help me with this!

ASSUMPTION: You are new to LR Classic and don't have these images already in a LR Catalog in this or some other computer. If that is correct, keep reading.

Either way is fine. You can either
a) Move/copy the images to the WD external hard drive as part of the Import process using the "Move" or "Copy" import method in LR, or
b) Copy/Move the images to the WD drive using Finder first, then use the "Add" import method in LR.

If you choose to use option "a", please read up on how to fill in the Destination panel in the Import Dialog first as some of the settings are not labeled as well as they should be and confuse many first timers.

If you choose to use option "b", in Finder place the images in the desired folder structure on the WD drive first, then the Add operation in LR will maintain that structure.

Thanks so much!
I am starting fresh on a new laptop . I must not have been paying attention importing on my other laptop because some photos ended up on my external HD, and apparently some ended up being referenced on my laptop, so my catalogue was a mess. Also I was very new to keywording and kind of messed that up too. Much easier to start fresh on my new computer than try to sort out the mess on the other one.

Click on the Home link at the top of the forum page and then download the Free Lightroom eBook for Lightroom Classic. That will help you orient yourself.

I am starting fresh on a new laptop .

That is fine if you don't mind losing work you've already done in LR. However, having images in LR spread over 2 or more drives is not all that difficult to fix (just drag and drop folders from one drive to the other in the Folders Panel in LR). Also, many times people who "made a mess of keyword" really don't hav such a bad mess and even though you may wish to delete some KW's, add others, and re-arrange the rest into a more logical hierarchical structure, in most cases images already keyworded tend to have more or less correct keywords and fixing those up is less time consuming than starting over. However in either case, devise a keyword structure that is logical and maintainable.

That is fine if you don't mind losing work you've already done in LR. However, having images in LR spread over 2 or more drives is not all that difficult to fix (just drag and drop folders from one drive to the other in the Folders Panel in LR). Also, many times people who "made a mess of keyword" really don't hav such a bad mess and even though you may wish to delete some KW's, add others, and re-arrange the rest into a more logical hierarchical structure, in most cases images already keyworded tend to have more or less correct keywords and fixing those up is less time consuming than starting over. However in either case, devise a keyword structure that is logical and maintainable.

Thank you! I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back