• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Sync Downloading images from Adobe Cloud incredibly slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon Nestrud

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Operating System: OS X High Sierra
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic version 7.1

Hi all - first time caller (but long time LR user)...

So - in an effort to get both Lightroom CC (on laptop and mobile devices) and Lightroom Classic CC (on desktop computer) all synced up properly so I can use both programs, I performed the following steps:

1. Imported all my images (JPEG, Raw, sidecar files) from disk into a fresh install of Lightroom CC on my MacBook Pro - and let everything upload to the cloud. This went fairly smoothly - considering this was over 66K images.

2. Then I started up a clean install of Lightroom Classic CC on my Mac Mini and connected up with my Cloud account - and the download of images started.

This is where the issues began. LR Classic CC is taking forever to download the image files. After 4 days (and nights) of leaving it to download files, it has only synced up a bit over 6K images.

- I have a 100 Mbps Internet connection
- When it first starts up, LR appears to download the first dozen or two of images fairly quickly - then slows to a crawl. Something averaging maybe 1 image per minute or slower.
- When checking on the sync progress in the preferences dialog, it will show tens of thousands of images are "downloading" and the rest are "pending".
- When checking system performance, CPU is generally pegged - with LR using most of that. Memory usage is only maybe 30-40%.

I've quit and restarted LR Classic and also rebooted the Mac. Still the issues persist.

My suspicion is that LR Classic is allowing WAY too many download threads - saturating the system - and only allowing a few bits per file to sync before the computer gives cycles to the next thread. I would guess if there were a small number of files to sync (i.e. less than a thousand), it would work ok. But when there's thousands to download, the program has no code in place to limit the number to start downloading. Or the limit is set way too high.

Has anyone else seen this - or found a solution?

Thanks for any ideas,
Lon

Operating System: OS X Mojave v10.14.3
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic version 8.2 [ 1204643 ]

Hi Lon;

I can't believe that no one has had any input on this. I just did the exact same procedure and having the exact same issues, 3.5 days and only 6951 images downloaded, out of 59753. Looks like I have months to go. And oddly, you and I seem to be the only ones that have seen this. Did you find a fix?

Thanks,
Marc

I'm not having this issue (but also not asking for large numbers of photos to sync). However, in general the slowest aspect of syncing is internet speed. You may want to google for several of the free "check my internet speed" tools - perhaps your internet provider has one to start with. Run tests using several different tools (they all report different numbers as they all use different servers and methods) and see if your upload/download speeds are near where your internet provider says they should be.

I'm having the exact same issue described above. My internet speed test was 160 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up so I don't think it's a internet speed issue. Has anyone found a solution to the slow syncing in Lightroom Classic?

Thanks,
Ian

I don't think having 100Mbps or 160Mbps is terribly fast. First these are the theoretical rated speeds for your connection Usually this number will be much lower in reality. I know that everyone in the world does not have fiber to to their door, but many cable and other internet providers are offering gigabit services and 100Mbps is painfully slow for large volumes of data. Cable Companies typically offer shared services with other users so your actual data throughput will decrease when other in your area are using the service, streaming video etc.
I've tested my Gigabit and have ~960-980 up and down with ~10' of Cat5e ethernet connection my computer to the router via a gigabit switch. Same computer connected via WiFi has transfer speeds of 406 Mbps down/242 Mbps up. If I test on Wifi downstairs well away from the router, I get WiFi speeds of 100 Mbps or less. Sometimes much less.
I suggest that you test your actual internet speeds using SpeedTest Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

If you upload to the cloud from Lightroom Classic SmartDNG proxy files will be sent to the cloud and won't add to your 20GB limit. These are not full size and are lossy compressed DNGs. If you migrate your Lightroom Classic Catalog to Lightroom (cloudy) Lightroom (cloudy) will store full size copies of the originals in the Cloud. When you sync these with a Lightroom Classic Catalog, Adobe Cloud will down load the larger FULL size copy of the original The larger the file is going up, the longer it will take and when it comes back to Classic, it will still be a larger full size image file and take longer to download. Downloading 60K files that are 20-50 Mb in size is going to be glacially slow at 100Mbps theoretical speed.

I don't think having 100Mbps or 160Mbps is terribly fast. First these are the theoretical rated speeds for your connection Usually this number will be much lower in reality. I know that everyone in the world does not have fiber to to their door, but many cable and other internet providers are offering gigabit services and 100Mbps is painfully slow for large volumes of data. Cable Companies typically offer shared services with other users so your actual data throughput will decrease when other in your area are using the service, streaming video etc.
I've tested my Gigabit and have ~960-980 up and down with ~10' of Cat5e ethernet connection my computer to the router via a gigabit switch. Same computer connected via WiFi has transfer speeds of 406 Mbps down/242 Mbps up. If I test on Wifi downstairs well away from the router, I get WiFi speeds of 100 Mbps or less. Sometimes much less.
I suggest that you test your actual internet speeds using SpeedTest Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.

If you upload to the cloud from Lightroom Classic SmartDNG proxy files will be sent to the cloud and won't add to your 20GB limit. These are not full size and are lossy compressed DNGs. If you migrate your Lightroom Classic Catalog to Lightroom (cloudy) Lightroom (cloudy) will store full size copies of the originals in the Cloud. When you sync these with a Lightroom Classic Catalog, Adobe Cloud will down load the larger FULL size copy of the original The larger the file is going up, the longer it will take and when it comes back to Classic, it will still be a larger full size image file and take longer to download. Downloading 60K files that are 20-50 Mb in size is going to be glacially slow at 100Mbps theoretical speed.

Those numbers I provided are actual speed tested numbers of my fibre optic internet speeds, not theoretical rated speeds. 160Mbps down 100Mbps up are pretty decent speeds for a speed test. I could go through my exact network set up from router to computer, but again my internet speed is not the issue.

After 12 hrs of Lightroom Classic syncing it downloaded ~2600 photos totalling ~21 GB in size. Over the 12 hrs thats an average download rate of less than .5 Mbps. So even slow internet speeds were not the limiting factor.

I did end up starting from scratch, I deleted the catalog and all the synced photos from my computer and then created a new catalog. It helped a bit, so then it downloaded ~14000 photos totalling ~112 GB in size in a 12 hour period. So we'll see if that continues, finger crossed.

Any advice on how to further speed this up would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Any advice on how to further speed this up would be appreciated.
That ~960-980 Mbps up and down that I quoted earlier is typical for Gigabit fiber. It will drop off as you get farther away from the router with an ethernet cable connection. If you have fiber to your router, then you probably need to upgrade your service with your internet provider. With WiFi from my fiber router ~10 away , I get speeds of 349 Mbps down and 279 Mbps up. This is 3.5 times faster than your reported Cat5e or better cable connection.

How far away is your ethernet connected computer from your fiber router? Try plugging it into the ethernet port directly on the back of the Fiber router and test your speed. This is the fastest you will be able to achieve with your equipment and the current service provided by your ISP. When did you last re-boot your router? It may need refreshing.

The problem is not at Adobe unless they are getting a lot of traffic and overloading their switches. That rarely happens.

I have AT&T Fiber they offer 3 plans. 100 Mbps, 300 Mbps and 1000 Mbps( Gigabit). They claim on their 100Mbps plan to let you download a 1GB file in 2 minutes. Theoretically, you should've been able to download your ~21GB in 42 minutes, This assumes that you don't have any other internet traffic on your fiber connection (This includes watching Netflix movies, web surfing and browsing, email and cable TV (if your TV channels are delivered on that fiber)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back