• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Downloaded 1 "Unsplash.com" Photo - Import to LR Created Double Image in 1 Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dargonne

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello Forum,
I am new to The Lightroom Queen Forum. Thank you for working with me on this....
I downloaded one photo from a free commercial photo site, "Unsplash.com". When I Imported that photo into my LR, that one photo became double images and weird looking smudges appeared.
I will attach screen-shot of photo in LR and a screen-shot of my original photo.
I am new to this idea of automatic syncing, however I have no pre-sets created in LR, I didn't set up any syncing on downloads. Is this a syncing and download issue? I can't think of how this may have been created. That one photo is fine in MS Picture Manager.
Cheers,
Deborah

Attachments

• LR Forum.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
I have no idea how this happened, but it seems clear that you have duplicate black & white (or desaturated) images overlaid (side-by-side) with the color components of the same image. The color portion is stretched to match the horizontal dimensions of the duplicate B&W images, which are possibly compressed horizontally. That's at least a first approximation.
If you know how to view pseudo-3D images, you can see one from the B&W images. Relax your eyes and try to see a "third" image between the two. It won't give a true 3-D image because the 2 image are identical, or at least not taken from appropriate offset positions for 3-D representation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have no idea how this happened, but it seems clear that you have duplicate black & white (or desaturated) images overlaid (side-by-side) with the color components of the same image. The color portion is stretched to match the horizontal dimensions of the duplicate B&W images, which are possibly compressed horizontally. That's at least a first approximation.
If you know how to view pseudo-3D images, you can see one from the B&W images. Relax your eyes and try to see a "third" image between the two. It won't give a true 3-D image because the 2 image are identical, or at least not taken from appropriate offset positions for 3-D representation.

Hi DC Bolton,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly on this strange occurrence.
I actually imported a whole bunch of photos to LR and I did see one photo where that 3D effect you are mentioning was much more noticeable than in this photo.
So does this mean I can't use LR for these photos I downloaded from Unsplash.com ?
I took one of Unsplash photos and opened it fine in Adobe Elements.
Deborah

I doubt that this anomaly was caused by LrC. Try downloading the offending images again to see if they are OK or still are anomalous. It seems more likely that this happened at the source, with which I am not familiar. Could this be a form of copy protection?

I missed the part about opening in Elements. It may be that the preview is corrupted. Try making an edit in Develop or use Library to create new 1:1 Preview. Those steps may fix the problem by creating a new preview.

Hi DC,
I figured it out. I believe it is a form of copy protection as you said.
At first I returned to Unsplash site and downloaded smaller images, believing that the sizes I originally downloaded were way too big causing a possible warp in the image. But no, that did not help.
Then I decided to experiment by doing a little cropping. One little crop did it - the downloaded photo 'became mine' so to speak. Then I was able to view it in LR properly and make any changes.
So I went back to all my downloads and resized them, making them all mine.
Thanks for your help.

That's probably not copy protection but an issue with creating the previews. I am guessing that the actual downloaded images were correct but that LrC is showing the preview on screen until either an edit is made or you force it to create a new preview another way. My understanding of LrC is that many operations are done while the preview is displayed and not the full resolution image for speed of operations. It makes sense because an image displayed at "fit" screen size only requires low resolution anyway. Viewing at 1:1 for "pixel" editing requires the full image. Previews are a lower resolution jpg image. I believe that's what you were seeing and what was corrupted.

Hi DC,
Yes, you are correct in saying that LrC is showing the preview on screen until an edit is made. When I edited the image, it showed as fine in the preview.
I'm not sure how to force it to create a new preview another way, so I will continue to edit in Microsoft Picture Manager before dropping into LrC.
Thank you for getting back to me.
Deborah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back