• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Does the mobile app work with my Lightroom Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aces1200

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom classic - latest
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. iOS
I need to keep using Lightroom classic (I have the photography plan with 20gb cloud), but I want to be able to use the Lightroom mobile app on my phone. Can the Classic work with the mobile app? I would like to be able to view certain categories/albums from my Classic program on the mobile app, and also be able to sync photos that I take with my phone to my Classic desktop. Any help appreciated. Thank you. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Short answer is "yes".
  1. In Classic, create one or more collections of images that you want to sync to the Adobe Cloud.
  2. In the Collection Panel, right click on each of those collections and choose {Sync with Lightroom} from the context menu.
  3. As soon at the images have sync'e with Adobe Cloud, go to Online photo editor | Photoshop Lightroom (You will need to login with your Adobe ID if you haven't already)
    1. You will see the same collections (designated as albums) in the cloud​
  4. On your iPhone, Install the Lightroom app and log in with your Adobe ID.
  5. Any images that you take on the iPhone and put in Lightroom Albums will be uploaded from the phone to the cloud and from the cloud downloaded to the Lightroom Classic catalog on your computer.

The short answer is the right one - though I would say "absolutely", and then echo Cletus.

If you get close to your 20gb limit, probably because of Cletus's #5, just unsync those photos and sync them again. This removes the original from the cloud/20gb and uploads a smart preview which won't count against that allocation.

Use the LR Mobile camera icon in the LR Mobile app to shoot images with your phone that you want to come down't to Classic, or use the same iPhone app to import those images from your iPhone camera roll into LR Mobile which will also cause them to come down to LR Classic. There are also settings to bring your entire iPhone camera roll down to classic and to have the default phone camera app also feed LR Mobile and thus LR Classic.

Welcome to the forum.

Short answer is "yes".
  1. In Classic, create one or more collections of images that you want to sync to the Adobe Cloud.
  2. In the Collection Panel, right click on each of those collections and choose {Sync with Lightroom} from the context menu.
  3. As soon at the images have sync'e with Adobe Cloud, go to Online photo editor | Photoshop Lightroom(You will need to login with your Adobe ID if you haven't already)
  4. On your iPhone, Install the Lightroom app and log in with your Adobe ID.
  5. Any images that you take on the iPhone and put in Lightroom Albums will be uploaded from the phone to the cloud and from the cloud downloaded to the Lightroom Classic catalog on your computer.
Thanks Cletus for taking the time to explain this. I'm happy to hear I can use the mobile app with the Classic. I'm hoping all the adjustments will flow from the classic to the mobile and vice versa, but that's just gravy if it does. I'm grabbing my ipad right now to download the app (after I sync with the cloud).
Thanks again.

The short answer is the right one - though I would say "absolutely", and then echo Cletus.

If you get close to your 20gb limit, probably because of Cletus's #5, just unsync those photos and sync them again. This removes the original from the cloud/20gb and uploads a smart preview which won't count against that allocation.
John,
Where do I go to unsync the photos? In LR Classic? Do I re-sync in the same place?
thanks

In my view the best and safest way is to go to All Synced Photos in LR Classic. Once you see them in ASP, you're sure that the photos have been synced down to your hard drive. You can then sync the photos again in LR Classic.

Deleting from ASP also removes them from any synced collections, which I might not really want. So my usual sequence is:
  1. Select the new iPhone photos in ASP, and also any new raw files which I imported to the phone via an SD to Lightning connector
  2. Ctrl Shift B which clears the Quick Collection
  3. B which adds the selected photos to the QC
  4. I then remove the photos from ASP - freeing up server space
  5. Ctrl B to select the QC
  6. Drag the photos to the synced collections - which syncs smart previews to the cloud
John

In my view the best and safest way is to go to All Synced Photos in LR Classic. Once you see them in ASP, you're sure that the photos have been synced down to your hard drive. You can then sync the photos again in LR Classic.

Deleting from ASP also removes them from any synced collections, which I might not really want. So my usual sequence is:
  1. Select the new iPhone photos in ASP, and also any new raw files which I imported to the phone via an SD to Lightning connector
  6. Drag the photos to the synced collections - which syncs smart previews to the cloud
John
Thanks, can't wait to check this out. On the flip side, I'm guessing that if I want to use the cloud as a backup, I wouldn't want to try this?

Seems like separate issues - having photos available on your mobile devices, and backup (cloud or not).

Very helpful. Thank you.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back