• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Does iCloud Photos play nice with Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Cloud on both Mac and iPhone
Operating System
  1. iOS
My iPhone is running out of space.

The easy way to free up space would be to use iCloud photos and let it keep full res photos in iCloud and put smaller versions on my phone for browsing.

All great, BUT I want to know whether this plays nice with Lightroom cloud.

My worry is if iCloud will grab the original photo, back it up and swap it for a low Res version BEFORE the Lightroom app gets to upload it to Adobe's cloud.

Ie will I end up with low res versions in my Lightroom library (which is my main library)

Anyone tried this?

btw, I know I could manually delete photos from my phone once they're in Lr, but I'd rather not. It'd be better to have a second cloud library just in case etc.

I am of the opinion that iCloud Photos and the iPhone Photos app do not work well with anything out side of the Apple environment. I have deleted the Photos app from my computer and turned off syncing with iCloud and use Lightroom Mobile to manage all of my iPhone photos favoring the Lightroom Camera over the Photos camera when ever possible.

I manage everything in Lightroom Classic and let Lightroom (cloudy) sync everything down from the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My worry is if iCloud will grab the original photo, back it up and swap it for a low Res version BEFORE the Lightroom app gets to upload it to Adobe's cloud.

This does not happen. My wife and I have iCloud Photos on on our iPhones, with "Optimise iPhone storage" on. We mostly take pics with the Apple Camera.

Lightroom is set to auto import from Photos and full size pics are uploaded to the Adobe cloud.

Lightroom is also our main library, and both being signed in to the same Adobe account means we can both have the same Lightroom library on all devices and computers. Photos app and iCloud syncing does not enable a common library across different Apple IDs.

This does not happen. My wife and I have iCloud Photos on on our iPhones, with "Optimise iPhone storage" on. We mostly take pics with the Apple Camera.

Lightroom is set to auto import from Photos and full size pics are uploaded to the Adobe cloud.

Lightroom is also our main library, and both being signed in to the same Adobe account means we can both have the same Lightroom library on all devices and computers. Photos app and iCloud syncing does not enable a common library across different Apple IDs.
This is great, thanks very much

So you still get all your iPhone photos uploaded in full res to Lr and the iCloud photos optimisation thing means your storage is freed up on device

Will give it a go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back