• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Book module Do RAW photos get converted when I upload to Blurb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvinjouhar

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC Desktop
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I hope this is not a stupid question..... I have recently switched over to shooting RAW only. If I make a book using edited RAW pictures, what type of files get uploaded to Blurb, when the book is finished - is it JPEG files, and if so, do I need to set the quality of those JPEGs or does Lightroom take care of that for me.

Thanks very much.

I believe so! (never a stupid question when learning Lightroom :))
And, yes, Lightroom does "take care" of the upload. And does it really matter to you?
Sending RAW files to Blurb would be 'useless' as they would not have your developing edits applied.
The Book module will indicate to you (by the exclamation mark) if image resolution is inadequate for quality printing.

LR uploads a PDF to Blurb and this PDF does in fact contain JPEGs which LR bakes from the raw or whatever-file-type originals. But you never see this, or really need to know - as said before, LR does this for you.

Thank you very much for the replies - I understand it now .

A good discussion but I think one important point is how uploads are managed through either LR features or plug-ins. If you were doing this manually, you would need to look at the file formats the vendor would accept and size, dimension, color gamut etc restrictions. My guess would be that a vendor would not be setup to accept a RAW file with adjustments stored in an accompanying XMP side car file and would want a finished product from the photographer in the form of a standard format like JPG or TIFF.

A good discussion but I think one important point is how uploads are managed through either LR features or plug-ins. If you were doing this manually, you would need to look at the file formats the vendor would accept and size, dimension, color gamut etc restrictions. My guess would be that a vendor would not be setup to accept a RAW file with adjustments stored in an accompanying XMP side car file and would want a finished product from the photographer in the form of a standard format like JPG or TIFF.
Well, I am not uploading via a plug-in - I am using the Blurb functionality within LR....and from what the previous answers say, LR does in fact handle a RAW file with adjustments, and it seems that it gets converted in LR.... so I am all set !

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but does the Book Module accept 'Virtual Copies' (with the inherent changes in metadata e.g. BW conversion) ?

I like questions which are equally simple unambiguous , Geoffrey!

Hello
Sorry, but just another query regarding the Book Module?
I have downloaded the 'Blurb' ICC profile, for Soft Proofing - as advised as per their website.
However, the profile, although in my ICC Profiles list, (as per the Screen shots below?) does not appear in the options in Lightroom or Photoshop, to load ?
(I have checked the 'Other' tab, and closed and re-opened Lightroom etc?

Please can someone advise what I am doing wrong, or what I should do?

Cheers

Geoffrey

Thank you for the reply!
So, basically, cutting through the whys and wherefores, do I understand that it is not possible to Soft Proof for Blurb through Lightroom using RGB?
If that is so, why is that that not unambiguously expressed i.e. "If you use RGB you cannot Soft Proof for Blurb in Lightroom" ?
Is using an alternative Paper type profile a viable alternative - and if what are any potential recommendations?

Cheers

"unambiguously expressed "-
A quote from Adobe- Use Blurb and profiles in Lightroom 4
"However, you can't use Lightroom's soft proof feature here either, because Lightroom does not support CMYK color. "
Note the article also states- "use the book-creation methods Blurb provides on their site. " ie. Not through Lightroom.

Also see the last post at- Another Blurb Photobook questions by Andrew Rodney (aka DigitalDog) who frequently posts in various forums on Lr/Blurb's short-comings.
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=75044.msg1024892#msg1024892

Andrew's views are theoretical, perfectionist, right in theory too. Mine are pragmatic, realistic.

In LR you can't softproof in a theoretically perfect way - there is only a single CMYK profile which is supposed to apply to all their printers and papers. However, in LR you can softproof to sRGB which gives some impression of the final result since the photos are uploaded to Blurb as sRGB.

So, thanking you for your responses (and patience!), Is the nearest you get to soft proofing for Books, using Blurb via Lightroom, to select sRGB as the profile, when Soft proof is ticked?
Sorry for any confusion, but I am used to picking a profile, for home printing, from the papers (PermaJet) that I have had profiled, through them, for my Inkjet printer (Epson R3000) - which is not a CMYK printer?
At the end of the day - sorry about the cliché - but I think that I am getting a bit too wound up with the technicalities of the processes, rather than looking for a suitable result for the output?

I like John's "pragmatic" approach.
I have never done 'soft proofing' in Lightroom for my Blurb books.
My photos look good on my calibrated/profiled monitor, they look good in my Blurb books!
Home printing is a different 'kettle of fish' where profiles are needed.

Sorry for any confusion, but I am used to picking a profile, for home printing, from the papers (PermaJet) that I have had profiled, through them, for my Inkjet printer (Epson R3000) - which is not a CMYK printer?

I would say all color inkjet printers are based on the CMYK colors, even if more sophisticated ones have additional color cartridges (usually lighter version of CMYK inks) to try to be more accurate with the reproduction of the digital files.

Sent using Tapatalk

So, thanking you for your responses (and patience!), Is the nearest you get to soft proofing for Books, using Blurb via Lightroom, to select sRGB as the profile, when Soft proof is ticked?

Yes, or try generating sRGB JPGs and softproofing against the single Blurb CMYK profile in Photoshop. Each is equally approximate, not purist, but practical. See also my comments in this thread Blurb ICC Profile about test books.

Yes, but this is obscured. You're best off not thinking this way ;)

At the end of the day - sorry about the cliché - but I think that I am getting a bit too wound up with the technicalities of the processes, rather than looking for a suitable result for the output?

Not really. It depends on your budget, to some extent, but in many ways one shouldn't make the perfect the enemy of the good. Blurb are more expensive but better quality than some, much cheaper but not as high quality as others. One soon learns tricks such as carefully reviewing the shadows, and a test book or two can save money and hassle. For what it's worth, I've given Blurb books to some pretty demanding people - and they liked the results.

John

All inkjet printers are CMYK based, because they all produce an ink on paper output. However, most inkjet printers have a printer driver that expects RGB input. The reason for that is because most applications do not support CMYK. That is why you would also need to use an RGB based profile for such a printer, because color management means converting the input to the printer color space.

Andrew's views are theoretical, perfectionist, right in theory too. Mine are pragmatic, realistic.

In LR you can't softproof in a theoretically perfect way - there is only a single CMYK profile which is supposed to apply to all their printers and papers. However, in LR you can softproof to sRGB which gives some impression of the final result since the photos are uploaded to Blurb as sRGB.
Geoffrey, So if I convert each image to the blurb icc profile in PS and import back into LR, you are saying blurb will then convert back to sRGB for upload? I have only used the blurb software 10 years ago with very good results, but used their icc profile. As a sidebar, what is the BEST quality book out there in your opinion? I have clients who will pay top dollar for such a book.
Regards,
Jay

So if I convert each image to the blurb icc profile in PS and import back into LR, you are saying blurb will then convert back to sRGB for upload?
Blurb will not do that, Lightroom will do that. If you use the Blurb software, this could be different.

Just about to embark on book printing via Lr. Interesting thread this but a lot of it is above me. For simplicity, would I be correct in concluding that images uploaded via the Lr book module to Blurb will have file type, colour space and dpi adjusted automatically. In other words it is basically a drag and drop process?

Just about to embark on book printing via Lr. Interesting thread this but a lot of it is above me. For simplicity, would I be correct in concluding that images uploaded via the Lr book module to Blurb will have file type, colour space and dpi adjusted automatically. In other words it is basically a drag and drop process?
Yes. There is nothing you need to do in this respect. Just design the book and upload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back