• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Do raw import defaults get applied even when importing an already processed raw file with a sidecar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_9

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I'm doing some collaborating with a friend in another country. I exported raw files after my processing and sent him those files, including their sidecars. He imported on his side and, in some cases, recommended additional processing, followed by exports of the entire set. When I imported the files he sent, in some cases, the images were modified with development steps, even though he hadn't explicitly made any changes. My current theory is that his raw default preference setting is different than mine. (Mine is currently Adobe default.)

My question: are raw defaults applied to an imported raw file, even if has already been processed, as evidenced by a side car file being present?

Another related question is related to my experience that when I import a modified file from him, his modifications are present in the file, but there is no visible history of the specific changes he made. Is there a way for him or me to configure things such that I see a history record when I re-import a modified file from him?

I welcome and thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions!

Mark

I would think that the following happens: First the raw defaults are set, then the edits in the XMP are added on top of that.

Another related question is related to my experience that when I import a modified file from him, his modifications are present in the file, but there is no visible history of the specific changes he made. Is there a way for him or me to configure things such that I see a history record when I re-import a modified file from him?
Not possible. as Develop History is one of the things that are NOT included in XMP.

.... unless your friend does an "Export As Catalog" and the export include the image in question. then he sends you both the exported catalog and the image file(s). You can then either just open the catalog he sent you or in your own catalog do an "Import from another catalog" and select the one he sent you.

I would think that the following happens: First the raw defaults are set, then the edits in the XMP are added on top of that.
Johan, this is one of the many reasons I never apply auto anything on import. I mean - you gotta see your shot before you start editing it. I wish someone could tell me just one reason to apply any kind of edit automatically at import. Maybe in a studio setting or repetitive headshots or shooting the same thing over and over with the exact same lighting. Maybe then, but I'm not sure even then.

But to each his own. LR has lots of tools I don't use but maybe someday will.

Someone teach me. Why why why would you ever do this?

Because all edits are non-destructive anyway, it may be easy to apply some of them automatically. Think about a special camera profile that you created and always use instead of the default Adobe profile. Think about lens profiles. To me it makes all the sense in the world to apply these through a camera default, but what makes sense to me might not makes sense to you.

Because all edits are non-destructive anyway, it may be easy to apply some of them automatically. Think about a special camera profile that you created and always use instead of the default Adobe profile. Think about lens profiles. To me it makes all the sense in the world to apply these through a camera default, but what makes sense to me might not makes sense to you.
Thanks to both Greg and Johan for your additional comments.

.... unless your friend does an "Export As Catalog" and the export include the image in question. then he sends you both the exported catalog and the image file(s). You can then either just open the catalog he sent you or in your own catalog do an "Import from another catalog" and select the one he sent you.
And thanks for that addition, Califdan; this approach may make sense for me in future collaborative exercises like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back