• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

DNG Previews Not Fully Rendering In Import Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgphotography

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
This has been happening for quite a while now - 2 years maybe? I shoot RAW on my iPhone 7 and when importing and viewing the thumbnails in any import window, be it Lightroom or Image Capture, the DNG files are not rendering fully which makes it hard to know which files I might have previously imported or not. I've brought this to the attention of the maker of the camera app I use (ProCamera) and they said it is an Apple issue. JPGs render fine as you can see in the attached screen shots. The first screen shot is LR and the second is Image Capture.

Well I was hoping that with the Catalina update and the latest LR this problem would have been fixed. But it's not! Does anyone else have this issue? I am the only one shooting RAW on an iPhone and importing them on to my desktop?

Victoria, do you know of this issue? I did report it on a post in the Apple Community forums but never got a response.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.31.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.31.06 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 253
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.31.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.31.51 AM.png
    889.3 KB · Views: 241
This sometimes happens when the card reader is defective, the USB cable is defective or the camera card is defective.
Try copying the camera card to the local disk drive then import from there. If you see the same results, swap out the card reader and the cable with a different set of hardware.
If there are still problerms buy a new Camera card and take a new set of test photos and repeat the steps above to determine where the bad thumbnail views come into play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone else have this issue? I am the only one shooting RAW on an iPhone and importing them on to my desktop?
I doubt you'd be the only person shooting Raw on an iPhone, though the majority would likely be using the Lightroom Mobile app's camera to shoot in DNG format, which can then sync to the cloud and back down into Classic. Have you thought about trying that?

I doubt you'd be the only person shooting Raw on an iPhone, though the majority would likely be using the Lightroom Mobile app's camera to shoot in DNG format, which can then sync to the cloud and back down into Classic. Have you thought about trying that?
Thanks, but I don't feel like reinventing the wheel nor do I need them in the cloud, and will stick to my method I've been using for a while to import and keep track of my files.

This sometimes happens when the card reader is defective, the USB cable is defective or the camera card is defective.
Try copying the camera card to the local disk drive then import from there. If you see the same results, swap out the card reader and the cable with a different set of hardware.
If there are still problerms buy a new Camera card and take a new set of test photos and repeat the steps above to determine where the bad thumbnail views come into play.

Thanks for your reply, but I am importing from my iPhone so there is no card nor card reader and it happens with any cable that I use.

Thanks, but I don't feel like reinventing the wheel nor do I need them in the cloud, and will stick to my method I've been using for a while to import and keep track of my files.

If that method is not working why do you continue to beat yourself up? Try the cloud sync that Jim suggests and see if you images get imported into Lightroom Classic without the headaches.

I suggest that you take a look at PhotoSync. It seems to me that Adobe has never really figured out how to import reliably from IOS. Using PhotoSync is a two step process but I have never had a problem since I started using it.

You can set it up to automatically transfer (Premium feature) new images to your main computer every time you get in WiFi range or manually transfer at your convenience. Once on your local hard drive you simply Import from disk.

You have several options for how to organize the images on your computer, including the ability to build a custom directory structure based on tokens. I have it setup to automatically separate my images from my videos because I handle them differently on import to Lightroom. I use a separate import preset that uses "Move". This keeps the PhotoSync download directories automatically cleaned up.

It also allows you to easily integrate multiple iDevices so as to merge the content into one Lightroom catalog. I use this to grab all the images an videos off of my wife's iPhone. Since PhotoSync puts them into their own directory structure I can easily assign appropriate metadata (via another Import preset) to her images and videos.

-louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back