• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Dng output file from Helicon focus unexpectedly cropped by LR but not by DXO Dhotolab

Status
Not open for further replies.

phendley

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
10.4 CLassic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I used Helicon to stack a set of 7 images (3888 by 5184 px) using the export to Helicon as DNG plugin from lightroom and exported the three rendered outputs (different rendering parameters) back to LR. However, I found the resulting DNG - reported in LR as 3876 by 5172 pixels - had "cropped" key areas off the bottom and RHS. This was a surprise (and extremely annoying) as the cropped areas were visible in Helicon rendered images and the cropped bits were important elements of the composition

After much messing about, I opened the Helicon output dng's in DXO photolab and obtained an image that showed the full original area visible in the Helicon output screen BUT ALSO REPORTING AS 3876 BY 5172 PIXELS. I saved that as a tiff, loaded it into PS and saved it to LR as a psd and the image is now complete in LR and still reporting as 3876 by 5172.
Using the PS ruler very roughly, it appears that the "opening helicon dng directly in LR version" removed approximately 130- 140 pixels from each edge while still reporting the image as having identical numbers of pixels as the psd version which shows a lot more of the original field of view.

I hope soemoen can tell me what I am missing here and how the LR dng import algorithm can "crop" a dng file differently from the DXO tool but still report the same pixel numbers - I must be missing something very simple here. I have attached jpg exports showing a) one of the oiriginal stack of 7 images to show the original field of view b) the result of importing the dng into LR directly and c) the result of opening the dng in DXO PL and passing back throguh PS to LR as a PSD

I must be doing something very stupid or forgetting something basic about importign in LR - any ideas??

If I understand what you are saying, Lightroom is creating a DNG image to pass to Helicon Focus. When Open ed by Helicon Focus, the images is cropped by a number of pixel on the bottom and RHS.

If I understand this correctly, Lightroom is applying a crop before exporting. Correct?
Some Cameras can Crop in camera to produce 16:9, 4:3 aspect ratios from a standard 3:2 aspect ratio sensor. RAW files from such cameras always record the full 3:2 sensor but record the aspect ration setting of the shot. The difference seen in the crop tool in Lightroom develop is listed as "Original" (3:2) and "As Shot" (16:9, 4:3 etc.) If you export using the "As Shot" setting a crop will be applied. Could this be what has happened to you?

The two different sensor sizes listed by you suggest that you have a 4:3 camera and the missing pixels are only 12 pixels from each dimension This missing pixel on the edge is not uncommon for many sensors for most cameras And does not seem to be the source of your missing 130-140 pixels. Which camera do you have and what is its native sensor size?

You say that the DNG is reported to have the same size in pixels as it has in the other apps (Helicon, DxO). Is that before crop or after crop? If it is before crop, then first check if Lightroom hasn’t simply applied a slight crop. If that is not the case, then maybe Lightroom did not render the preview correctly. Try rebuilding the preview (Library - Previews - Build 1:1 Preview) and see if that solves it.

If I understand what you are saying, Lightroom is creating a DNG image to pass to Helicon Focus. When Open ed by Helicon Focus, the images is cropped by a number of pixel on the bottom and RHS.

If I understand this correctly, Lightroom is applying a crop before exporting. Correct?
Some Cameras can Crop in camera to produce 16:9, 4:3 aspect ratios from a standard 3:2 aspect ratio sensor. RAW files from such cameras always record the full 3:2 sensor but record the aspect ration setting of the shot. The difference seen in the crop tool in Lightroom develop is listed as "Original" (3:2) and "As Shot" (16:9, 4:3 etc.) If you export using the "As Shot" setting a crop will be applied. Could this be what has happened to you?

The two different sensor sizes listed by you suggest that you have a 4:3 camera and the missing pixels are only 12 pixels from each dimension This missing pixel on the edge is not uncommon for many sensors for most cameras And does not seem to be the source of your missing 130-140 pixels. Which camera do you have and what is its native sensor size?
thanks for the suggestion

I am afraid I was not clear - the process is to send focus bracketted files (in this case 7) from LR to Helicon - this is doen by a dng export process proviided by Helicon. Helicon then performs the focus stacking in one or more ways of my choice to produce a focus stacked output result which I can then save as a dng for return (automatically) to lightroom. In this case, the focud stackign process works fine and produces a focus stacked output that looks fine in Helicon (just like the jpg I showed that had been through DXO) and reflecting the stacking from the 7 startign images. I other words the camera (olympus OMD Mk II) is producing the expected images and these are being handled as expected by Lightroom UNTIL they come back from Helicon as dng's. We know the fiels LRSENDS to helicon are OK as helicon produces complete output

It is the translation of this helicon OUTPUT when it is returned to LR that is the problem I am facing so I do not htink it is an issue with the original images since the DXO interpretation of the same dng file out of helicon shows the full image

A freind has wondered if the issue migh tbe that, for some reason, LR is applying an automatic lens correction on opening the dng?????

My camera sesnor is micro 4/3 normal output 3888 by 5184 px.

this is doen by a dng export process proviided by Helicon.
I am familiar with the Helicon Focus App and the Plugin. The plugin causes Lightroom to create a group of Export DNG files. These are fully processed entirely by Lightroom and the Helicon Focus App is called by Lightroom when the Plugin process is complete after the DNG files are created. Pleas revisit my earlier post to see where IN Lightroom the cropping is occurring. You want to make sure the crop window is set to "Original" and Not to "As Shot" .

Lens corrections are being applied with Lightroom. If you are using a wide angle lens, then the recorded pixels at the edges will be dropped due to distortion

If you are still at a loss, send one or two of the RAW files to me [email protected] at WeTransfer.com. I can look at the file header and import/export the file into and from Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back