• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module DNG+JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimM

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC 8.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Lightroom shows files names like "P1030088-2.DNG+JPEG" in the corner of a preview thumbnail but in the computer's file system that file is actually "P1030088-2.DNG". There are also cases where Lightroom reports a file of "P1040011.dng" and in the computer's files system it shows the same name "P1040011.dng", exactly like one would expect.

What's the exact meaning of the " .DNG+JPEG" reported extension when it is not the real extension of the file? I assume it means that the file contains a JPG preview but does this mean that the "dng" file doesn't contain a JPG preview?

Why is there a difference in the case of the extension? My conversion settings say to use the lowercase "dng" extension.

When you have your camera set to produce raw + jpeg and you don't have a Lightroom preference set to import jpeg alongside of raw, you'll see what you're seeing. In that case, if you use LR to move the raw file to a new folder, the jpeg will be moved there too.

If you change the preference to import both, in future imports both raw and jpeg will be available for editing in LR.

Thank you Hal. I've run a couple of experiments to better understand what Lightroom does in the import process and have confirmed what you've described. (I believed you but saw something strange on my machine so wanted to investigate).

With Import preferences set to not "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate files" (unchecked) I get the "DNG+JPEG" extension display that I described in my first message. Strangely, if I delete the associated " .JPG" file via the file system, LIghtroom still reports the " .dng" file as "DNG+JPEG". Not sure why but I can deal with it now that I (I think) understand it.

Is there a DNG previewer available for Windows that allows one to preview a DNG file in Windows Explorer?

the case of file names is ignored so jpg is the same as JPG or Jpg.

When you imported (assuming preference for this was not changed), When LR sees 2 files with the same base name, but one is a RAW file (e.g. DNG) and the other is JPG file, it will create one entry in the catalog for the pair of files. From then on, anything you do to those files IN LIGHTROOM will apply to both. and you'll see the "DNG+JPEG" notation.

However, if outside of LR you rename, move, or delete one or both of the image files, LR will not know about this will continue to show "DNG+JPEG".

Do you recall doing any file management on these images outside of LR? If so , please explain what you did. Also explain what you'd like your final result to be and we'll be able to help you get there.

There are plug in's for Windows that will show you DNG (or other RAW file types) in File Manager, My computer, Windows, Explorer or whatever Microsoft is calling these days. Microsoft makes one and there are several on the market. Just do a Google search for something like "Codec for RAW files in Windows"

My mistake ( a long time ago ) was renaming and moving files with Windows Explorer and I've since learned not to do that so this problem should not continue. I just needed to understand what the "DNG+JPEG" thing was about ]. Thanks to all for the help

Although not exactly your situation, I have a blog dealing with RAW+JPG imports where either the RAW or the JPG is now missing. The blog is actually designed to show how to actually get rid of JPG's from RAW+JPG pairs without losing images where either the RAW or the JPG was missing and, at the same time, retain all the metadata and develop history. You may find it interesting.
https://www.danhartfordphoto.com/blog/2018/7/lr010---lr-classic-how-to-remove-redundant-jpgs
LR010 - LR Classic, how to remove redundant JPG's

Dan

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for documenting that. It'll take a while to read, absorb, and test but it looks promising.

Dan, I got as far as this step "Now that the grid is sorted, it is easy to select all the images with a file type of RAW+JPG as they will all be together. " but the files remaining are of either "DNG+JPEG" or "DNG" in no particular order. Sorting by extension still leaves them mixed so I see no reasonable way to separate out the "DNG+JPEG" files to move them to the temp folder in the next step. Pretty easy to pick out a few files but it's another story with thousands. Am I missing something here?

Wow! You're right. I don't know if I missed that when I wrote the blog or the behavior has changed. I'll have to fix my blog. but in the mean time you can try isolating the DNG+RAW files by using the filter "Any Searchable Field" / "Contains All" / "DNG JPG". Here's the experimant......

I created the images below such that each situation (JPG only, DNG only, and DNG+JPG pairs have 3 occurances each (color coded by file type). The DNG+JPG pairs are green.

However if set a Text filter to "Any Searchable Field" - "Contains All" - "DNG JPG" Then I get only the paired DNG+JPG pairs

Thanks, I just tried that here and it worked; now I can proceed. I had originally tried searching on "DNG JPEG" at that point but it failed. I don't know why I thought that would work but it sure seemed reasonable since that's what Lightroom displays.

Having someone find an omission is never nice but at least it means someone is actually reading what you wrote. Thanks again for the help.

Having someone find an omission is never nice
Actually, it is really nice. The object is to get correct information out there, and that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back