• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

DNG and sidecar????? Is this a bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryM

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
I have a folder of 77 raw images. I converted one to dng just to see how it works. That image has a ? in the upper right corner of the frame, and to the left is a rectangular box with three dots above it and three dots below it. When you place cursor over it, tip indicates, "sidecar file missing."

This is very confusing since a dng does not have a sidecar.

With this folder selected, I synchronized the folder. Quite a few of the raw file then took on the same symbols, the rectangular box and the question mark. Some of the files did not. Tried optimizing the catalog but that did not help.
When you check the files in explorer they all have the xmp side car files. The only way to remove the ? was to click on it on each and every file that displayed it. Boy I am glad there were not 5'' files.

I indicated some of the files were affected, and some were not. I made the following observations about the difference in the files affected and those not.

Files affected, or exhibiting question mark and "Sidecar file missing"

When these files are selected in library, and metadata panel open,
(1) Original file name is missing or not displayed
(2) Sidecar files display "XMP,xmp"

Files not affected, or behaving normal.

(1) Original file name is displayed
(2) Sidecar files display "xmp"

I would just delete the images and re-import but I have done some work on the images and do not want to lose it. I know the ? indicates the image is missing, but when you go to explorer it is clear they are there. And so are the xmp files. I did notice in explorer, the extension of the problem files is.XMP rather than .xmp

This leave me not too excited about dng files. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Hopefully a PC user will be along soon to sort this out for you.
I have not seen any issues like this on my system.

Go to your Preferences tab and click, first box, down the bottom click go to catalog settings in there click Metadata tick all the box's and you should be ok...

Go to your Preferences tab and click, first box, down the bottom click go to catalog settings in there click Metadata tick all the box's and you should be ok...

If what you are saying is to tick the three boxes under editing in the metadata panel, they are already checked.

(1) Original file name is missing or not displayed
(2) Sidecar files display "XMP,xmp"

A few days ago I had a similar behavior after synchronizing a folder with 1'D RAW files. These files consist of a .CRW and a .THM sidecar file.
After synchronizing a folder I had the missing sidecars badge on all RAW files. In metadata panel it showed following sidecar files; .THM, thm, and .xmp
The lowercase .thm was added after synchronizing and that is wrong, because it doesn't exist.

There is a bug in the synchronize folder function with uppercase and lowercase and I submitted a bug report to Adobe.

Your case is a little different, but if you can reproduce it, then I would submit a bug report,too.

Juergen

A few days ago I had a similar behavior after synchronizing a folder with 1'D RAW files. These files consist of a .CRW and a .THM sidecar file.
After synchronizing a folder I had the missing sidecars badge on all RAW files. In metadata panel it showed following sidecar files; .THM, thm, and .xmp
The lowercase .thm was added after synchronizing and that is wrong, because it doesn't exist.

There is a bug in the synchronize folder function with uppercase and lowercase and I submitted a bug report to Adobe.

Your case is a little different, but if you can reproduce it, then I would submit a bug report,too.

Juergen

Interesting! I can reproduce it. I clear each of the badges by clicking and then if I sync again, it occurs all over again. Must be a bug. As far as the one dng file, I cannot get rid of it. It consistently says "sidecar file missing"

I will submit to Adobe. Thanks.

OK, just an update. I have noticed at least three folders in LR that exhibited the above problem. When synchronize is performed on the folder all the raw files (.cr2) show the missing sidecar badge and missing photo ?.

There is one thing consistent with these folders that is different from all the other folders. When you look at metadata panel, under "Sidecar files", it shows "XMP,xmp"

All the other files that work correctly show "xmp"

I have no idea what is causing this double entry but it appears this is part of the problem. I am running on pc.
Are there only two of us who have seen this problem?

dng files the sidecars are in the dng file not in the folders.
You did not mention if this was an internal Hard drive or an external one?
Thing to try is move the dng files into there own folder, and the Raws files from your camera in there own folder does the questin mark go away, In this folder would be the orig raw file plus the dng betting since orig raw file is there as well Sample ( '''1.dng and ooo1.nef) lr is confused which is the correct one give that a try ok

lowolf;218'7 said:
dng files the sidecars are in the dng file not in the folders.

I am aware of that. That is what is so strange about the badge on the dng saying "sidecar file missing"

You did not mention if this was an internal Hard drive or an external one?

Internal drive.

Thing to try is move the dng files into there own folder, and the Raws files from your camera in there own folder does the questin mark go away, In this folder would be the orig raw file plus the dng betting since orig raw file is there as well Sample ( '''1.dng and ooo1.nef) lr is confused which is the correct one give that a try ok

I did move dng to it's own folder and it makes no difference. Still shows the "sidecar file missing" badge. I see no raw file associated.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back