Dissappearing Lightroom (v1.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simmelt

Has ANYone experienced the new, magical, self erasing Adobe Lightroom? I've been using this program ( with a great deal of delight) since it came out as a Beta. I even bought it as SOOn as it was unveiled! Now...for the 2nd time...I've left my computer to come back say....2-3 hours later ti find it had TOTALLY dissappeared. The install folders for BOTH 1.1 and 1.2 are Empty! I've done NO upgrades that would involve Adobe....I've done no updates to PS-CS3 that even call upon any of it!

I'm BAFFLED! I've checked the garbage can to see if it did some stupid antiviral erase.

TG I've still got the install zipped files in my DL folders and have kept all license communications from Adobe.

and...NO...I was NOT indulgng in adult beverages prior to the use of this event! ( but I Sure as He............will be NOW!).

I've suggested Shane wander over this way and see if anyone else has heard of it. I heard of someone else with the same problem a while back, but I can't remember where, and I can't remember the solution!

No adult beverages we consumed PRIOR to any of the afore mentioned events.....BUT...afterwards...I became an ABSOLUTE Idiot!

I'd not looked to see if the uninstall utility was still intact Ian.......I just instinctivly cursed, threw something at the dog and re-installed LR 1.2 ONE more time. Next time I'll take a look!:roll:

PS...as for the Profile pic...I still use that ol Graflex...........and I've considered a digi back for it too....but...then again...NOT!!

My dog has taken his share of abuse too! Books, shoes, flailing arms...

I'm just curious if the uninstall utility is still there to try and start narrowing down what may be happening. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does (and hopefully the dog has learned to duck), we'll see.

simmelt;1'71 said:
No adult beverages we consumed PRIOR to any of the afore mentioned events.....BUT...afterwards...I became an ABSOLUTE Idiot!

I'd not looked to see if the uninstall utility was still intact Ian.......I just instinctivly cursed, threw something at the dog and re-installed LR 1.2 ONE more time. Next time I'll take a look!:roll:

PS...as for the Profile pic...I still use that ol Graflex...........and I've considered a digi back for it too....but...then again...NOT!!

Welcome aboard !!
Nice pic too.

It HAPPENED again!

OK.....had to run to the big city this morning and left the puter running only Outlook 2''7, an Excel spreadsheet and Adobe CS3 bridge.
Come back 3 hours later and the icon for Lightroom is missing, the program is AWOL from it's resident folder(s) v1.1 AND 1.2 and I've NOT touched a thing! So...Ian....you wanted me to look in where for what?

I've gotta run to the studio in about 1.5 hours ( 3 pm Central US) I'll keep an eye open here till then.

(Sloooooowly reaching for the NEW bottle of Skyy vodka in the pantry)

Bizarre!

Ok, first thoughts -
Were your other programs etc still running when you got back?
Were there any anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc scans scheduled to run between the time you left and the time you got back?

i'd upgraded to CA 2''8 AV suite since the First dissappearance ( which was under CA 2''7 AV only).

I'd figured it was WAY better then McAffee and NAV :x

Guess not....I'm about to go to a full firewall puter tween my internet and network....but...still doesn't take out pacakged viri.

Sheesshh....all I wanted was some speed & some confidence.

I received your message that indicated the uninstall program for Lightroom was not in the uninstall list for Windows. Odd. Check your anti-virus program(s) logs to see if they show any activity. Also, if you have any other anti-malware (AdAware, Search & Destroy, etc.) running, check their logs as well.

I want to find an answer for you, but we still need to do some digging. I don't see this as a Lightroom issue, per se, but we'll figure this out... hopefully!

Oh, do you happen to have another computer you can install Lightroom on to see what happens? Can you wipe out your current machine and start over? When was the last time Windows was installed on this machine, and was that a clean install, or a repair, or an upgrade?

this is the 2nd time this software has removed itself from THIS computer ( a 6 mo. old Dell X71' Quad Core running XP Pro....as in all my computers. the first occurance happened approx. 2 mos. ago shortly after I got my install disk upgrading from LR Beta while running on my 4 year old Dell XPS Gen. 4 .

I have Lightroom installed on a Sony laptop that so FAR has been running with NO occurances...and IT too has CA (2''7)antivirus installed.

I've not looked in the past 48 hours.......( as the laptop is not connected to the network as often as the mainsystem computers) to see if the program is stillaccessible. Will look in a few minutes after re-connecting it.

What OS are you running, XP or Vista? I'm just shooting in the dark, I've never run across this problem with any version of Windoze and I thought I had encountered most of them.....

Have you tried a System Restore? If something is running the uninstall, it should set a restore point before the uninstall. Maybe checking your restore points will give you a clue.

Wish I could be of more help. I'm really interested in seeing what is causing this. Maybe it's time for a clean OS install and go from there to see if the problem appears again.

HTH,

We run XP Pro on the entire system computers. There is no sign of any shenanigans in any restore logs.
As for new install....i'm hesitant as it's a 4 mo. old computer from Dell with factory installed XP Pro (MY request Vs Vista).

My wife HAS grown uite a sense of humor ( after a decade of marriage to me....she better).

But...no....and the dog's not figured out my network password yet.

I'm about ready to toss the CA antiviral package and find something NOT by McAfee or Norton either........................:evil:

Oh well..............it was worth a try. IF I find the culprit...I'll most assuradly post here for everyone's amusement.

Thanks all!

I personally never recommended either McAfee or Norton products for Windows. Instead, I pushed Avast Antivirus. It's free for personal use and highly rated. But that's another issue for a different Forum.

Sorry we can't come to the solution for you. This is a very interesting (and I'm sure frustrating) issue. We are gaining new Members daily, and it's possible that someone comes on board that has the solution for you.

If you find one in the meantime, I would love to know what it is.

I'm interested in hearing from you if you ever figure it out, as well. I thought I had run across most every case of WinBug but this is totally new. Never heard of an AV program doing a full uninstall of another program, either. I use AVG AV and have never had any problems.

Just a thought, were you logged in as Admin with full privileges when you installed LR? And using the same login when you came back and found it missing? It is possible in Windows to install a program under one user account and not have it accessible under another. Never would have occurred to me except for your mention of your dog and the network password.....;)

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out. I wouldn't be afraid of doing a re-install, Dell has probably provided you with an XP disk or a Restore disk. If it's a restore disk, be sure and back up ALL your data since a restore disk puts everything back to as-shipped status but a simple XP re-install shouldn't effect anything other than the Windows/Application Data and Program Files folders. Of course, you'll have to re-install any programs that you've added which can be a minor or major PITA, depending on what you have on the machine.

FWIW, the first thing I do on a new computer, after all Windows and driver updates is install all my software(update if necessary), run a cleaner/registry repair program, defrag and then burn a drive image to a disk. I never had much luck with Norton Ghost and it hasn't been updated since forever, but Acronis works well for this. Since I don't keep any data on my C:\ drive, I can always restore to a known good status for my essential OS and programs.

Best of luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back