Display Canon AF Points

ThomasB

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I would love to have one feature integrated in LR - the display of the used AF points.

The new Canon Digital Professional 3.5.1 can display the AF points. You need the 3.5.1 version of DPP. When you double click on a picture in the grid view, the edit window opens. There you can select "View > AF point" or you press ALT+L.

In LR I created an export setting "DPP" which exports the selected picture as original data into a temp directory and opens "DPPViewer.exe". Then the picture is automatically displayed in full screen mode in DPP. There I only have to press ALT+L to see the AF points. The whole process needs only a few seconds.

Step by step...
  1. Install Canon Digital Professional 3.5.1 (update from the Canon website).
  2. Open LR
  3. Select File > Export
  4. In the Export Dialog, choose the options showed in my screenshot. Important is, that you export the original RAW files. If you convert the Canon RAWs to DNG at import, this will not work.
  5. Add the settings as a user preset by clicking on the "Add" button and give it a nice name like "DPP-Export".
  6. From now on, you can right-click on any picture and select Export > DPP-Export. This opens the exported RAW in DPP.
  7. In DPP select View > AF points or press ALT+L.
  8. Don't forget to erase the exported photos in the temp folder from time to time, this won't happen automatically.
Screenshot:

Last edited by a moderator: