• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Difficulty with photo template

Status
Not open for further replies.

barman

Dilip
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi - I use LR 5.7 and am having some problems with a print template. I have a layout that I saved as a template; it includes some text, a logo, and two pictures. Each time I want to use the template I want the text that I can edit, the same logo, and the same sizes for two pictures. However, the template gets saved with just text. Furthermore, when I drag pictures in, the sizes in the template are not respected. What am I doing wrong? (Once this is figured out, all I have to do I assume is to go to Library to select the pictures I want to consider, then open Library with the filmstrip on the bottom and drag in any two pictures, right?) Thanks!

Dilip

Sound like your template is a Custom Print package. In a custom print package, the cells are completely flexible. You can set certain aspects of the cells in the right panel, however. If you check 'Lock to Photo Aspect Ratio', then a cell will be resized if it does not match the aspect ratio of the image you dragged in.

Thanks, Johan. Which should I select so that the positions are locked and the logo is locked, but the two pictures, locked to existing sizes and aspect ratios, can have new pictures swapped in? Even better, if I happen to have pictures of slightly different aspect ratios, that should be changeable on a new instance of a finished print. Thanks!

If you do not check 'Lock to Photo Aspect Ratio', then the cells should stick to their initial size (and position) if you drop in a photo. It the aspect ratio of the photo is different, then the photo gets cropped. If you do not want to photo to get cropped, you can right-click on the cell and choose 'Match Photo Aspect Ratio'. That will resize that particular cell.

No luck. I tried resaving with the logo but when I click on the template, the logo is gone. Here is a screenshot. Thanks!

Attachments

• tempLRprinttemplate.png
    tempLRprinttemplate.png
    343.1 KB · Views: 198
I don't think you can save a logo in a template like that. Your logo is just an image, so it won't be saved. What you can try is add the logo to your Identity Plates. Then you can add this Identity Plate to a template and save it.

Dilip, You would be better to [Create a Saved Print] from the tab above the print window.
This will appear in the Collections panel.
It can be re-opened in the Print module by a [Double-Click] on the Collection.
It will re-open with the photos you 'saved' in the Collection, but you can change the photos by dragging others from the filmstrip to replace those existing.

That's another idea. In order to make this work, you need to do two things: when you save the print, make sure you uncheck the option to include the saved photo only. If you keep that checked, then your saved print collection will only contain that one photo. And when you want to go back to the saved print, do the following: hover with your cursor over the saved print collection. You'll see an arrow appear on the right of the collection name. Click on that arrow to switch to the Print module and the saved print.

make sure you uncheck the option to include the saved photo only. If you keep that checked, then your saved print collection will only contain that one photo (or multiple photos from a Custom page!)
True, but easily overcome- if you return to Library Grid view and drag & drop any photos onto the Saved Print Collection. Then the 'original' print photos can now be replaced by simply dragging photos from the filmstrip.

Thanks. I'm still a little confused - I was able to bring up the saved print template and at least it has 3 boxes and the text. Now all I have to do is edit the text and drop the logo in its box. But when I drop pictures into the 2 picture boxes, they keep their size and not the size in the template. I'd like to start off with the existing size and possibly change.

... progress! I think I need to UNcheck the photo aspect ratio. That has to do with the picture I'm dragging in, but I want to stick with the aspect ratio in the template. I think I got it but it would be even better if the logo were part of the template. In any case, I think this is now workable! Thanks.

I think I got it but it would be even better if the logo were part of the template.
Use the Identity Plate method I described earlier. That will make the logo truely a part of the template, not just another image you've dropped in.

Thanks. My text box is indeed an identity plate - can I specify more than one identity plate in one image?

Thanks. My text box is indeed an identity plate - can I specify more than one identity plate in one image?
You mean in one template. Create an identity plate that is the entire logo (image + text).

That's a neat idea. But then the text is static - I need to be able to edit it with annual updates - like "6th Grade 2020-1" and then next year "7th Grade 2021-2".

That's a neat idea. But then the text is static - I need to be able to edit it with annual updates - like "6th Grade 2020-1" and then next year "7th Grade 2021-2".
So? That means you need to update the identity plate once per year. Is that really such a big deal? If I understand you correctly, then you are already doing that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back