• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Different results when changing profile between lightroom files and photoshop files

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinK

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with some interesting behavior with LR profiles. I have a folder full of raw images (ARW from Sony).

In order to make black and white versions of each, I make a virtual copy of every image, and then with all the virtual files selected, I change the profile from Adobe Color to Adobe Monochrome. I like to use this as a starting point.

However, once in a while one of the images is a psd file because I chose "edit in Photoshop", edited part of the image, saved, and then it saved a copy in my same LR folder.

When I have one of those psd files in my folder, the resulting black and white virtual copy I get is different from the ones that were not edited in PS. I actually like it a lot better. It is softer and always seems to be closer to what I am aiming for.

I don't want to have to bring every single image into PS just to have this result. Can anyone tell me why the results would be different when I change the profile like this?

Thank you!

The results are different because the profile also contains raw conversion instructions, which are of course not applied to the psd file.

Johan, thanks for your response. Rats, I thought that maybe LR and PS would be so well integrated that I would be able to have a one step solution. Do you think the only solution would be if I wanted them all to look like the PS files, that all of the files would have to be edited externally by PS?

Do you think the only solution would be if I wanted them all to look like the PS files, that all of the files would have to be edited externally by PS?
You could always create your own preset. Start with the Monochrome profile and then start adjusting sliders to get the look you like. Give that you want softer try starting with negative clarity, sharpness, dehaze and or contrast.

Thanks Dan. I'm pretty proficient with LR and I can't get it to look the same. It's kind of a conundrum how the PS files looks so good right off the bat and I'm looking for a one step solution like that for hundreds of images. I do think your suggestion is how I will have to do it. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back