• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Difference Between Auto Settings and Auto Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Current
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I thought the built-in Classic General, Auto Settings was the same as creating a preset with Auto Settings preset, but it's not. Notice that first photo below that the Auto in basic panel is not engaged, but it is in the second.

So what does Classic General, Auto Settings actually do? It's not doing what I expected.

It would be great if I could import with auto tone and then zero out the contrast, since Lightroom dials in negative contrast, and sometimes negative saturation which is stupid for a RAW file. I can't thing of a workaround. Can you?

Thanks,

Reid

Thanks.

Good to know that I'm not the only one seeing this issue. To get the auto settings I want, I think I need to import, select all, auto tone, then zero contrast.

Thanks.

Good to know that I'm not the only one seeing this issue. To get the auto settings I want, I think I need to import, select all, auto tone, then zero contrast.

Adobe is aware of this and will correct it some day. I created a preset called Contrast 0 to apply to multiple files. Then I found Jeffrey's Personalized Auto Tone and set it to only reduce contrast to 25% of what Auto thinks.

You can also import all your files and in the Develop module select all or some of them then toggle the Sync button to Auto Sync. Now when you choose Auto it will anaylyze each file separately and when done apply a 0 Contrast preset.

Adobe is aware of this and will correct it some day. I created a preset called Contrast 0 to apply to multiple files. Then I found Jeffrey's Personalized Auto Tone and set it to only reduce contrast to 25% of what Auto thinks.

I should have been more specific. Adobe is aware of the large contrast reduction.

Sorry for bumping again. Not sure what your workflow is but I discovered that Auto does not play nicely with Canon profiles. It tends to over-protect highlights and will underexpose quite a bit. I download using Adobe Color and then after using Auto switch to a Canon profile. Not sure about other manufacturer profiles. Profiles created using ColorChecker Passport do not seem to suffer this based on my tests.

I do the same but I'm using Jeffrey’s “Bag-o-Goodies” Plugin which includes "Personalized Auto Tone".

David,

Thanks so much for the suggestion of Jeffrey's bag of goodies. Interesting sense of timing, as I was just teaching a class last night on the use of plug-ins, so this will come in really handy for me and my classmates. Also interesting sense of timing because the next thing I ended up googling was "applying Lightroom plug-ins with keyboard shortcuts" and the first hit was your post on using keyboard tamer! Is that still working out for you or do you have a better option?

Update: Keyboard Tamer not working on Windows 10 computer. Just wrote the author. Alternatives?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Never mind. I was able to get Keyboard Tamer working—restarted, uninstalled, re-installed

Another issue: I’m on a PC. Can I call up a plug in with Keyboard Tamer on a PC? Am I not accessing it correctly? I see instructions for a Mac, but not PC. Any workarounds?

Yes they did!. I played around with it yesterday applying auto tone on import, and then comparing it to auto tone applied after import and rendering. There’s a negligible shift and some of the sliders, but overall it’s been fixed!

It’s still appears to apply a little negative saturation, but overall it’s still workable

I also just noticed that after the 8.3 update I'm suddenly getting positive contrast with Auto Tone.

I also just noticed that after the 8.3 update I'm suddenly getting positive contrast with Auto Tone.

A quick look and I see the same. Need to check some older files to be sure though!

I did check some older files. Positive contrast when going back to import and re-applying Auto.

Yes, in view of the many complaints about the usually large negative contrast being applied by the previous Auto Settings, Adobe have reworked the Auto function. Sometimes I find it better that before, sometimes not as good....but that'll usually be the case because what's good/not good is almost always subjective.

Jeff Schewe said he was working on it a few months ago at LL. I looked forward to the correction since then. I know some don't like Auto anything but I find it a time saver in some areas. I guess I can stop using a plug-in that lets me control Auto.

Adobe basically had to do something. C1 put out a video a few years ago saying how much better their product looked out of the box. Then Adobe Color came out and the sharpening default went to 40. These days the first look can make or break it. Some aren't interested in creating color profiles, doing extensive editing, etc. Adobe Standard was/is a little flat which was by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back