• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Did LR 9 break LR on my wife's computer and how do I get back to v 8.4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBHIX

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Seems like classic version 9 broke my wife’s LR. Guess I left her computer on automatic upgrades. Now she has version 9, but on the import page the left hand column shows Macintosh HD three times (should only be once), her external drive once, and her card reader. The problem is nothing will import. LR says no photos found on either the XQD card or on the external drive. I imported 28 photos to the external using Finder, but we can’t get them into LR 9 even though we can see them in Finder. I need to find a way to go back to LR 8.4.1 which was the previous version.

I think the problem is Catalina not a version of Lightroom. You may want to roll back to Mojave instead of Lightroom.

If you roll back Lightroom, You will need an 8.4.1 catalog since the v9 catalog is not compatible with older versions of LR.

Yep, it's Catalina. It sounds like you've hit all 3 main issues:

Macintosh HD 3x you can just ignore for now. That's not doing any harm.
Importing from the card doesn't work from the Devices section doesn't work right now, but from the Files section below might if...
Issue 3, you can't import from the external drive. That just means you've declined Lightroom asking for permission to access those drives. That's a new security thing in Catalina. You can fix those permissions in System Preferences. There's instructions and a screenshot here: Lightroom and macOS Catalina 10.15 Compatibility

Rolling back to 8.4.1 won't help at all with those issues, as Clee said.

Well, after 1 1/2 hours with Adobe Support, they confirmed there is a problem that will be fixed within a few days. So we rolled back to version 8.4.1.. Strangely while they were trying to get LR to work, they created three more Macintosh HD entries (these had weird suffixes). I'll wait for 9.1 or whatever it's called.

I think the problem is Catalina not a version of Lightroom. You may want to roll back to Mojave instead of Lightroom.

If you roll back Lightroom, You will need an 8.4.1 catalog since the v9 catalog is not compatible with older versions of LR.
Catalina has been very stable up to this LR incident; so we rolled back to LR 8.4.1.. Adobe confirmed it's a known issue and a fix is coming soon. I still had her version 8 lrcat.

Yep, it's Catalina. It sounds like you've hit all 3 main issues:

Macintosh HD 3x you can just ignore for now. That's not doing any harm.
Importing from the card doesn't work from the Devices section doesn't work right now, but from the Files section below might if...
Issue 3, you can't import from the external drive. That just means you've declined Lightroom asking for permission to access those drives. That's a new security thing in Catalina. You can fix those permissions in System Preferences. There's instructions and a screenshot here: Lightroom and macOS Catalina 10.15 Compatibility

Rolling back to 8.4.1 won't help at all with those issues, as Clee said.
Rolling back to LR 8.4.1 DID fix all the issues. We'd had not issues with Catalina and LR 8.4.1 for the past three weeks. Adobe said this was a known issue for them that will be fixed in a few days. The only problem was LR 9 not being ready for Catalina (which was released to the public a month ago). The Adobe tech tried lots of stuff for about 2 hours before just rolling LR back to 8.4.1 and telling me to wait for the LR update that should fix things.

So show us a screenshot of the import dialog on Catalina in 8.4.1 with it all back to normal? It’s true than v9 isn’t fully compatible with Catalina but nor is 8.4.1, so rolling back LR won’t help. These issues were being reported on Catalina before 9.0 was released, and there is no update planned from Adobe “in the next few days”. I think the customer support person told you that to get you off the phone/chat TBH.

So show us a screenshot of the import dialog on Catalina in 8.4.1 with it all back to normal? It’s true than v9 isn’t fully compatible with Catalina but nor is 8.4.1, so rolling back LR won’t help. These issues were being reported on Catalina before 9.0 was released, and there is no update planned from Adobe “in the next few days”. I think the customer support person told you that to get you off the phone/chat TBH.

Here's the screenshot. We'd had no problems using Catalina since mid October with LR 8.4.1. Our current Catalina is 10.15.1. The Adobe tech support person (not the original customer service person who knew nothing and passed me to tech support) took remote control of my wife's computer for about an hour and a half trying to make LR9 work, but it wouldn't import from any source. Then he showed me how to roll back to LR 8.4.1 and suddenly all the problems were gone. Ravi from tech support said this was a known problem, that they were working on it, and expected to have a fix in a few days. He didn't say when an update might be released. All this was said after the problem was resolved; so I don't think he was trying to get me off the chat.
LR Screen shot.png

Ravi from tech support said this was a known problem, that they were working on it, and expected to have a fix in a few days.
Unfortunately, Adobe customer support is known to say things just to finish the conversation or not to have to admit that they haven't got a clue. These are people who have been given a pile of manuals, a FAQ list and that's it. Good luck to you. You can't possibly expect them to be an expert on every single Adobe application, but they should simply admit that they don't know (and try to find an answer by consulting somebody who does know).

Unfortunately, Adobe customer support is known to say things just to finish the conversation or not to have to admit that they haven't got a clue. These are people who have been given a pile of manuals, a FAQ list and that's it. Good luck to you. You can't possibly expect them to be an expert on every single Adobe application, but they should simply admit that they don't know (and try to find an answer by consulting somebody who does know).
Unfortunately for your position Ravi was right about fixing the problem. He tried to make LR9 work but couldn't. Others here have also said LR9 isn't ready for Catalina. So the only solution was to roll LR back to version 8.4.1 which he did, and that fixed everything. I agree that often tech support seems to just be reading a script, and it helps if the user is knowledgeable. But Ravi did not just say something to end the conversation. He found a solution.

Guess I'm lucky. I'm running Catalina and LR9 since about Wednesday. I tried the card reader and images where there but I didn't do anything else. I just inserted a card into the reader, used Image Capture to import files to a folder on the desktop and the imported that folder into LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back