• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop Presets - Open in Lightroom without preset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles101

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC 8.2.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have applied a third party develop preset to an image. What happens when I open the catalog containing the photo with a different Lightroom installation that does not have the third party presets installed? Thanks.

In general (simple explanation)- Develop presets apply the effects of sliders and adjustments in the Develop panels.
The catalog will have recorded these Preset effects for the image in the catalog.
The different Lightroom installation will just display the photo the same with the these develop adjustments. (You will, of course, need the photo files attached to do further editing in Lr. Originals or Smart Previews)

Problems may arise if you do not have any necessary Profiles installed on the other computer. Some 3rd party presets rely on specific profiles within the preset. eg. The VSCO Presets were reliant on specific camera profiles.

Ideally you would make a copy of the Preset files and paste them into the other "installation", then they are available to use on other photos.
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-classic-file-locations/

I have applied a third party develop preset to an image. What happens when I open the catalog containing the photo with a different Lightroom installation that does not have the third party presets installed? Thanks.
When a preset is applied to an image the various controls/sliders are altered and saved in the catalog. If the preset is then deleted the setting remain so the image stays the same.

So, if you are using the same catalog file on a different computer/LR instal it will have the adjustments saved for that image even if that install of LR does not include the preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back