• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop Module Pixelation Since Recent Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

schultzphoto

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi, I waited quite a while to do the most recent CC update because I've had trouble with past ones. I updated about a month ago and of course, ever since when I'm in develop module my images pixelate to the point that it's hard to even tell what I'm doing. Here's a mild example of what happens when I try to edit an image. It's usually much worse. This never happened prior to my last update. Is there anything I can do?
I have a Dell OptiPlex 5040 6th generation Intel i5 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GBSSD Hard Drive, Windows 10. I have a NVIDIA video card (I'm not sure which version).
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    843.9 KB · Views: 445
From your screen shot, I can't see pixelation (unless it is the large white rectangle) I di see the red clipping indicators. Is it the clipping indicators Or something that I am missing. You can turn off the clipping indicators.

I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining it. Yes, it's the large white rectangle that shouldn't be there. Sometimes the picture is broken up into 6+ boxes like that so you can't even tell what it is. It does the every time I make an adjustment.

I "think"(?) that may be related to your video driver or GPU. If you go to LR menu {Help}{System Info...} and copy and paste the information on the dialog that pops up back in a reply her, we can give a better assessment.
As for something to try, Go to the Performance tab in Preferences and uncheck the box labeled "Use Graphics Processor (if it is checked) and see if this makes a difference in the appearance of your develop module.

Ok, here's the info:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.1 GHz
Built-in memory: 16282.7 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16282.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 3008.4 MB (18.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4579.7 MB
Memory cache size: 0.0 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No
Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2
Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 372.54
Renderer: GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: C:\Lightroom Catalog\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\lschu\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom
Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Export to Photomatix Pro
4) Facebook
5) Flickr
6) Leica Tether Plugin
7) Merge to 32-bit
8) Nikon Tether Plugin
Config.lua flags: None
Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
D

I unchecked "use Graphics Processor" and it seems to have corrected the issue. I'll upload some more photos now and see if it continues to work. So is it ok to just leave the " use graphics processor" button unchecked? Also do you know why that just started to happen?
Thanks very much

I uploaded photos from this morning and edited a couple and the problem is solved. I can't find how to turn on GPU acceleration. Where is that?

I uploaded photos from this morning and edited a couple and the problem is solved. I can't find how to turn on GPU acceleration. Where is that?
As for something to try, Go to the Performance tab in Preferences and uncheck the box labeled "Use Graphics Processor

And what happens when you turn of the GPU accelleration?
I thought you were talking about something different. Like my avatar says, I'm a novice. Well, that's what fixed it.
So it's ok to just always leave that disabled?
Was it the update to adobe that caused it?
thanks

Yes, the GPU acceleration is only used for certain develop process functions. So, you can leave it turned off and not worry. I haven't kept up to date on which drivers you need to really be able to use your supported video card with GPU enabled, but updating the GPU drive might be all it takes. Adobe says your cards passed the tests and the System Info does not show if you have enough onboard VRAM for GPU acceleration. All in all GPU acceleration has turned out to be an overblown performance enhancement that has caused more people grief than it has helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back