• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module goes grey - again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulHillman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR6.14
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

I am using LR 6.14 on a PC running Windows 10. I have 16GB ram, and use C:drive as programs area which has 21GB available. Data is on the D:drive which has 1.8TB capacity available.

A couple of years ago, after a Windows update, the Develop module greyed out the image as soon as any function in the Develop module was selected. I disabled the Graphics card as suggested by a number of LR users but still had to remove LR, reboot and then reinstall and this did the trick - great.

Now, again immediately after the latest Windows 10 update was installed, the same problem. Unfortunately on this occasion the above solution has not worked; the graphics card was still disabled and even after removing LR, rebooting and then reinstalling, the problem remains.

I have tried uninstalling the most recent 2 Windows updates and rebooted but the problem remains.

Help!

Hi again
Sadly my success was short lived; the same problem reemerged a few days ago. I decided to uninstall Lightroom, reboot and then reinstall. Initially this cleared the problem of the greyed out image in the Develop module. However now ( a day later) as soon as I hit the Develop module, Lightroom chrashes and I am back to my windows screen. When this happens there are no error messages that I can see; it just dumps back onto Windows.
Any ideas?
Many thanks

I disabled the Graphics card as suggested by a number of LR users
These words suggest you disabled the GPU at a Windows system level.
This is not the same as disabling the Graphics Acceleration in the Lightroom Preferences (Something entirely different). And something you should try.
Now it is also known that Windows updates frequently install Graphic drivers that are incompatible, or simply do not work with Lightroom. A Black or Grey screen in Develop mode only is often a symptom of this.
You should go to your video card manufacturer's website and make sure your video driver is up to date. If there is a newer driver available you should install it.
You can then try turning the GPU acceleration back on after you install it. (without a 4k screen you may not need it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back