• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Desktop startup crash issues

hakeae

Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi, I started a subscription to Lr & Ps but am unable us the desktop version of Lr - it crashes as soon as it opens. There are a number of forum streams on Adobe Lr site, and the consensus seems to be that it is due to conflict with NVidia, and there are complex instructions for how to disable NVidia. I have sent crash reports back to Adobe with comments and have not received any response, so I was going to cancel my subscription. I started looking for alternative options. Yesterday, however, I tried the web version, and was able to use that, but I still want to have a desktop version. So the question remains (finally, the question!): is anything being done about the startup crash issue? Adobe have got any notification or info that this was an issue (that I could find) so it's hard to know if thy are even looking for a solution to this, apart from disabling NVidia, which is hardly a solution. Perhaps they are working with NVidia to eliminate conflicts, but it would be nice to know, if that was the case. Does anyone have any info on this issue?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
To clarify, have you tried switching off the GPU in Lightroom? What's it set to currently? Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor - set to Off. It's only used to assist in graphics processing and will normally be set off if Lr doesn't think it can use it.

Which model of graphics card, which Driver?

hakeae

Thanks so much for your reply.
I am on NVIDIA GeForce 820M, driver version 23.21.13.8857.

Re GPU - I can't get that far as it displays crash notice, then when I select send/don't send report, the app closes.
I tried going via Properties & Device Manager, but there is no "Off" setting for GPU.

Please see attached.

Attachments

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Unfortunately, it seems the graphics card is below the minimum spec to run the current version of Classic. It's an old card (7 years) and seems to come with 1Gb RAM. Classic requires a minimum of 2Gb to display (more to actually use for processing in Develop)

Classic 7.x would run on 1Gb GPU but since 8.x (October 2018) 2Gb has been the minimum.

hakeae

Thanks. It's really good to know at last. I really appreciate your help.
I've been looking at upgrading so will go ahead and do that. I actually looked a a few options recently, but mostly looked at CPU speed, RAM etc, but not the details of the graphics card, so now I will be looking out for that, and refer to the info in the link. :)