• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Depth masking on iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 7.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. iOS
A new experimental feature in Lr CC on iPhones only is the depth mask, which I think leverages the second camera in an iPhone (but not sure) to allow for creating a mask based on, well, depth. Create mask, then say blur or darken the background, etc. New Features in Lightroom CC Mobile (August 2018)

Anyone know in detail how this works? it's not on by default, so give it a whirl. Quite fun; wish I could use it on an iPad or desktop.

I just tried to use and understand.....understand how to deal with this is the issue. My iPhone 7+, like point and shoots, preform miserably in anything other than bright light. I can take the Depth Mask photo, but cannot find the Depth-aware selective tool to do what the "New Features" blog suggests. At my age, I don't have the time to waste with what isn't intuitive. (Semi rant over). So, in detail, I don't know how it works. :)

On my iPhone 8 it's one of the local adjustment tools. And you have to turn on the experimental stuff in prefs somewhere. Too bad your phone doesn't take good images.

Yeah, it's fine to play with. Those of you who have my Edit Like a Pro book will be pleased to know it's detailed in the latest update.

Essentially, take a photo in Depth mode in the camera, then go to selective edits and when you tap the + button, it's an extra option next to the brush and gradients. Then you can fiddle with the controls to select the area of the photo you want, and when you tap done, it turns it into a normal brush mask.

They may need to add it in the next release, but just in case you've missed it, did you turn on the tech preview in preferences?

Thanks Rob, I'll see what I can find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back