• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Deleting photos on mobile device without removing elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Mayne

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Trying in vain to figure out how to manage Lightroom Mobile photos on my mobile devices. I’m using the LR camera to take RAW photos and sync to iPad and iMac. My iPad is old so I’d like to free up space and delete LR mobile photos on it. Is it possible to do that and not affect the photos synced on iPhone and iMac?

In LR desktop preferences under LR Mobile - What does Delete all Data do? Such a scary button!

Any help appreciated. Have posted on Adobe forum and googled a lot and haven’t figured it out.

Thanks,
Susan

Thanks Jim. I checked, but there was no outstanding sync activity pending. So ...

I went through all my synced images one at a time, on LRmobile and on my desktop, looking for differences. I found that I had two images online which were not on my desktop - they both appeared to be previous edits of other correctly synced images. Maybe, at some point, LR had gotten confused between virtual copies, or something like that? I don't know.

Except that I don't know how this happened in the first place o_O
Well, I don't know how I did it, but I find myself in the same situation as earlier, namely, I have two more photos indicated online than is shown in my desktop "All Synced Photographs" collection. There is no outstanding sync activity pending. Last time this happened, I managed to find the extra online images by going slowly through the images on each platform one by one, looking for differences. Before I resort to the same laborious procedure again, does anyone have any ideas for some way to speed up this comparison process? (I don't have any good ideas, but maybe someone else will ... )

My gut feeling tells me that this problem is somehow caused by syncing virtual copies, but I can't be sure.

One of the problems is that the various LR mobile apps have moved on, and in some cases the settings have changed. Probably best if I try to explain how it works today, concentrating mainly on the iPhone (but the iPad would be only different if it's not a cellular-capable model). Hopefully if I give you that perspective it may answer your questions along the way, OK?
8. One other thing to note is what happens when you open an image into any of the "full-screen" modes such as Edit, Info, Review. If an original file exists in the ecosystem, and you haven't got the "Use Cellular Data" option enabled (Cloud Storage & Sync tab), i.e. you have full cloud access, LRmobile will initially download the smart preview while downloading and rendering the full original. These originals will be cached, and subject to the same "intelligent space management", but it's useful to know they might be there, even if you thought you were getting smart previews only.
I hope the above gives you a better understanding. I'm sure I've missed things out, so don't hesitate if you want to come back with more questions.

Dear Jim, I think you are the guy to write a lightroom for dummies. Thank you so much for your very expanded and easy to follow explanation. I will print your reply out so I can keep it as a reference. I have a better view in my head now and can work from your explanation. Thank you very very much because I know how much time this must have taken you to write your way through my epistel. What you say makes perfect sense and it is very valuable background knowledge that so far I never found before... Between you and the Lightroom queen I am set up for success now. Thank you again and now off to print! Thanks from the bottom of my heart!

You're more than welcome. However, I've just noticed an error in my point 8....the original file if it exists will always download if an internet connection exists, be that on Wifi or Cellular. The "Use Cellular Data" option is only there for you to enable or disable internet access when Wifi is not available and a cellular connection is available. The setting is there to prevent you inadvertently using up your cellular data allowance. Sorry about the confusion.

Hi Jim, Thank you so much for your explanation. I only found it by accident and am not sure that I replied to it. If I didn't, sincerely apologize. I have worked out the working order by now, and it is indeed much like your explanation. I will print out your reply to my question to reread on certain times when I need it. The workflow you mentioned works a charm when you have fast wifi. I was in Europe for the whole month of May and did just that: go from phone to adobe servers and once uploaded, cleared iphone. It worked a charm for 5000 pics. For the last fourteen days I have been traveling the American Heart Land with lower wifi speeds, and made a mess. I could not get my Nikon RAW files on adobe server quick enough, so filled up phone (256gig) and part of ipad(256gig). I think it is needed to make clear that this good working flow only works with fast internet. To add to the confusion, I had to wipe some of my sd cards, I have four of 64 gig, but did ran out of space in the second week. I am just hoping that I did not toss too much and no pics I really needed. Eventually I found a best buy where I could buy another 64 gig sd card... lol. From your explanation I now pick up that I can still clear the cache, which would have given me more free space on the phone while traveling. Made a mental note of that one. Thank you so much for your lenghty and very valuable sharing of a possible workflow, and again apologies if I did not thank you before. Not a habit of mine. I know how timeconsuming those write ups can be, so I am eternally grateful to you. Thanks again! Oops, I had replied already but did not see it because of the expand window. Djeesh! Anyway, thank you again. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back