• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Deleting LR's default develop presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollok Shields

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
LR comes with a bunch of develop presets I'm never going to use. I want rid of them. Any clues?

I see the same thing. When you create a new folder from the New Develop Preset dialog, the initial name is 'Untitled Folder' but you can't save it like that. You also can't save with another name that contains a space. You have to remove the space. Looks like the same oddity I noticed in the import dialog.

LR apparently does not allow "Untitled Folder" to be used as a valid Folder name. This is probably to insure that the default value (Untitled Folder) has been replaced by a Valid Folder name value. A valid folder name needs to conform to the naming convention of your FileSystem AND not duplicate any other sub folder where created.

LR apparently does not allow "Untitled Folder" to be used as a valid Folder name. This is probably to insure that the default value (Untitled Folder) has been replaced by a Valid Folder name value. A valid folder name needs to conform to the naming convention of your FileSystem AND not duplicate any other sub folder where created.

No, I don't think that's the explanation. I thought of that, so I added a number and quickly tried 'Untitled2 folder', but that didn't work either. And as I showed you earlier, Lightroom also does not let you create 'San Francisco' as subfolder during import.

I can also put spaces into an 'Import' sub-folder; same caveat that there are no spaces at the end.

I can also put spaces into an 'Import' sub-folder; same caveat that there are no spaces at the end.

Well, all I can conclude is that Lightroom does not behave the same on our systems. You saw the screenshot, complete with the error message. That error message even has the Lightroom icon on it, so it does come from the application.

Last edited:
Well, all I can conclude is that Lightroom does not behave the same on our systems. You saw the screenshot, complete with the error message. That error message even has the Lightroom icon on it, so it does come from the application.
With everyone running Sierra, I can only conclude that there is some LR Preferences setting. In the File Handling tab of Preferences, there is a File Handling section. that controls file naming. ( folders are a part of the file name)
Paul & I can create everything in Presets folders as long as there is no trailing space. In the Folder panel, I can add a new folder "San Francisco" without it converting to "San_Francisco" So I ask those of you that can't match the results that Paul & I get to compare your File Name Generation section with mine below:
FileNaming.png

Cletus, I'm not talking about adding a folder in the folders panel. I'm talking about adding a subfolder in the import dialog.

My computers are already turned off (it's 00:30 locally), so I'll check those settings tomorrow. I never changed them, though.

With everyone running Sierra, I can only conclude that there is some LR Preferences setting. In the File Handling tab of Preferences, there is a File Handling section. that controls file naming. ( folders are a part of the file name)
Paul & I can create everything in Presets folders as long as there is no trailing space. In the Folder panel, I can add a new folder "San Francisco" without it converting to "San_Francisco" So I ask those of you that can't match the results that Paul & I get to compare your File Name Generation section with mine below:
FileNaming.png

This is the correct answer!

I've set my preferences as shown above and the result is

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 09.25.23.png

I can now create a folder with a space.

Its still a bug. Why would anyone assume file name generation should have any affect on folder names. Folders are not files!

Good find.

Funnily enough at the same time I was looking through the preferences plist file and came across a filename : allowspaces setting (which is presumably set by this dialog box. I thought the same thing; folders are not files.

If you take the file name as full hierarchical name then it applies, and that may be valid in a technical context.

But in the GUI a user changing that setting isn't going to be thinking that. So I agree it'a a bug; if only to expand the text in the Preferences pane to make it clear that it also applies to folders. And that it also applies to names like the Presets ... a user isn't necessarily going to know or care that those names actually map to physical folders.

Last edited:
Good catch! I just checked and although I don't remember that I ever changed this setting, I too had 'Replace by underscore' for file names with spaces in them. I agree it's a bug, or Lightroom should specify that it also applies to folders (sometimes, that is).

Folders are not files!
Actually they are a part the path which is a part of the file name and are treated by the OS a zero length files. No bug here. But I agree that Adobe could make this section clearer to encompass folders and are always a part of the file name.
The filesystem does not include a hierarchical filing cabinet way of physically organizing data on a disk. Segments of files are arranged on disk where ever space is available (sectors). Each sector has an index and these are strung together to produce a complete file The Name of the file consists of the path from the root to the extension. There used to be a Windows limit of 255 characters for a file name including the path although I think this has now been removed.

Last edited:
Actually they are a part the path which is a part of the file name and are treated by the OS a zero length files. No bug here.

Technically, I agree. However, only a few percent of all users would know that, so if you have a setting for files names that also affects folder names, then you should at least say so. The other thing is that Lightroom is not consistent here. I could not create a 'San Francisco' subfolder on import, but I could change the folder name to 'San Francisco' in the folder panel. That does make it a bug IMHO, because that should not have been possible either...

No bug here.
It depends how you define a bug. A bug does not necessarily mean broken. A bug or to use a more precise term 'defect', might be when an application does not confirm to requirements. If I were testing the application and I couldn't create a preset folder because some where in the file handling Preferences setting it said don't allow spaces in the file name (which as an application user are two completely unrelated things), then unless that was specifically defined in the user requirement I'd raise a defect.

Even within software development the term 'file name' is not really standardised and needs to be qualified before it's context can be understood. In application APIs you might see the term 'file name' and have to check the documentation before you're sure what you're dealing with. I think if you say file name to the average user they don't think of the full hierarchical name. For example in the EXIF metadata panel you have file name ... but it's the name without the path. Why should a user think the term means anything different in the Preferences panel? To me that inconsistency is a defect in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back