• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Deleting LR's default develop presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollok Shields

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
LR comes with a bunch of develop presets I'm never going to use. I want rid of them. Any clues?

Short answer is that you can't. What you can do is create a Folder that sort ahead of the "Lightroom..." folders. If you begin your Folder name with a number (like "1.0 User Presets") it will sort ahead of everything else. You can then drag your develop presets out of the "User" preset folder to this new folder. This gets your Presets folder at the top of the list and the LR default presets further down where they can be ignored.

FWIW, you can create a duplicate of any of the LR default presets by dragging it to your USER created folder.

I was hoping they might be hidden away in the apps files somewhere and I could delete them from there. Never mind. Duplicate tip appreciated though, I do use one LR preset on occasion, I've made a copy.

Oh, but I don't think you can create a folder "1.0 User Presets". Don't seem to be allowed spaces...

Oh, but I don't think you can create a folder "1.0 User Presets". Don't seem to be allowed spaces...

There's no problem with that name.....how/where are you trying to create the folder?

There's no problem with that name.....how/where are you trying to create the folder?

By control-clicking in the Preset list and selecting New Folder where the New Folder dialog box is pre completed with the Folder Name 'Untitled Folder' and the Save button is greyed out. Remove the space in the name and the Save button is available. Ditto any folder name you want to create, 'Pollok's Presets' can't be created but Pollok's-Presets' can.

The same is true when clicking the '+' button at the top of the Preset list create a new Preset. While you may create a Preset with a space in its name, if you go on to create a new folder for that Preset you come across the same 'no spaces' problem.

It works correctly on my El Capitan system, so you have a problem somewhere. However, an easy workaround is to create the folder manually in Finder, then restart Lightroom and it should pick up the new folder (create it in the root of Develop Presets, not in the User Presets sub-folder). See attached screenshot, the 2.0 Presets folder I just created by using the right-click>New Folder method in the Lightroom Presets panel.

Missing your screen shot but I know where to look.

In fact I just renamed the folder in Finder and LR doesn't complain. Good, thanks again.

OTOH, try and rename that folder - which now has a space - from, say, "Pollok's Presets" to Pollok's Presets One" back in LR and the save button becomes greyed out again. Can't be saved with a new space. But you can save with the old space. Which all sounds more of a bug than a feature to me. We'd need someone else with macOS Sierra to confirm though.

Maybe it is a Sierra problem, let's wait for one of our Sierra users to chime in.

Nope ... I can create a presets folder with spaces.

It's looking that way ;) Dunno; but it doesn't look like the OS or LR versions.

Lightroom is sometimes a bit funny with spaces in new folder names. What I have seen is that Lightroom would not accept a space in the name of a new subfolder on import, even though it was perfectly happy to change the name of that folder (and include a space) later on in the folder panel. It happened on my old MacBook Air (now replaced by a new MacBook Pro), I still have to check if it happens on all my systems.

There's always the option to back up your prefs first. You could try the reset to see if it at least resolved your issue; you still then have the option to revert. See under "Resetting the Preferences File – Lightroom 6/CC only" in the article.

Maybe it is a Sierra problem, let's wait for one of our Sierra users to chime in.
I can create a folder name with one Space but not two. I can't rename a folder and put in additional spaces either. As soon as a add the 2nd space the Create/rename button goes gray. I think it is a LR 6.8 bug since existing multi space folder names are accepted and if you create the folder in your Develop presets folder using Finder and re start LR the Folder is accepted
Preset%20Panel.png

I can insert as many spaces as I like, including amending existing names. What I can't do is add spaces at the end, which makes sense.

upload_2016-12-16_15-12-54.png

Still leaves the OP's problem though: "1.0 User Presets" doesn't work for them.

They seem to have been pretty thorough in what they've tried ...
By control-clicking in the Preset list and selecting New Folder where the New Folder dialog box is pre completed with the Folder Name 'Untitled Folder' and the Save button is greyed out. Remove the space in the name and the Save button is available.
In that scenario the Save button would not become enabled when the space was removed if there was a space at the end. I'm sure they will confirm.

No, its not a 'space at the end' issue for me. The default name of a new folder is "Untitled Folder" and the Save button is greyed out. Delete the space and I can save the folder. Checked and I'm not adding a space at the end.

No, its not a 'space at the end' issue for me. The default name of a new folder is "Untitled Folder" and the Save button is greyed out. Delete the space and I can save the folder. Checked and I'm not adding a space at the end.
You must be doing something like that. Until "Paul B" pointed out the Space at the end problem I thought it was a bug too. Both Paul B an I are able to create any folder name with spaces and other non standard characters on Sierra.
Exit LR, then Go to the develop Presets folder and use Finder to create a new Folder (with any naming convention that HFS+ allows including multiple spaces) Restart LR and your folder will appear in the Preset Panel

Well, Lightroom does behave a bit odd with spaces in folder names. Try the following: Get the import dialog, click 'Into Subfolder' in the Destination panel and type a name with a space inside, like 'San Francisco'. The name will turn red. Click away from the field to force Lightroom to accept it. You'll get an error saying that the name contains illegal characters and Lightroom will replace the space with an underscore. Strangely enough, Lightroom will have no problem changing the name of the folder into 'San Francisco' after you've created it an imported some photos...

Screenshot 2016-12-16 18.50.15.jpg

Here are some screen grabs.

First the dialog box I see on creating a new folder. The name is highlighted, Save is not available/

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 17.49.03.png

Second: I've put the text I bar at the end of the word 'Folder" and as you can see, no space at the end. Save unavailable

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 17.49.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 17.49.31.png

Third: I've deleted the space between the words and now I can Create the new folder.

Yes, I can and have renamed a folder in Finder and LR has no problem seeing that. Its just the creation within LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back