• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Deleting folders from library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annewickham

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I have tried to delete an empty folder from the library. There is nothing in it and the pictures are trashed from the desktop where they were. How do I delete the folder out of the library. I saw the instructions to do it and it won't do it.

Anne,

Welcome to the forum!

Just ctrl-click on the folder name and choose "Remove":

Lightroom Database-4 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library_2012-03-24_13-05-16.jpg

Hal

I have tried to delete an empty folder from the library. There is nothing in it and the pictures are trashed from the desktop where they were. How do I delete the folder out of the library. I saw the instructions to do it and it won't do it.
Anne, Welcome to the forum.
There must be nothing in the folder to remove it from the HD. Open the folder in Finder and verify that there are no files of any type in this folder. If the folder is empty in as viewed in finder and the image count shows '0' in the Folder panel, you can right click on the folder in the LR folder panel and choose {remove} form the context menu.

If this is not working for you, then a screen shot of the folder panel and another of the folder in a column view in Finder will help further assess the problem.

Hi I have same problem.....I have "Added folder" as a test. It is empty...it does not appear in the LR file structure unless I choose "Import photos + videos" then I ca see it..rt clicking does not show a delete option. thanks PS can I safely delete this from Explorer file list?

Hi I have same problem.....I have "Added folder" as a test. It is empty...it does not appear in the LR file structure unless I choose "Import photos + videos" then I ca see it..rt clicking does not show a delete option. thanks PS can I safely delete this from Explorer file list?
The only place that folders are critical to Lightroom is in the Library Folder panel. If the folder appears there and there are no cataloged images. (i.e. image count in the folder panel is zero), you can right click on it in the folder panel to remove it from the catalog. If (AND ONLY IF) the folder contains not other files, LR will delete the folder from the filesystem.

In the Import dialog, LR will always show you a true representation of the folders in the file system for both the source panel and the destination panel. These represent folders in the file system and not necessarily folders cataloged in the LR catalog file. IF the folder in the Library folder panel has no cataloged image files in the catalog, you can always delete the folder using Windows Explorer without harm to the contents of the catalog.

Thanks, when I open library > file> import folders & video...I can scroll down to my test folder. there are a couple of options , but not delete. I'm doing a little experimentation to learn a bit more about LR .

Thanks, when I open library > file> import folders & video...I can scroll down to my test folder. there are a couple of options , but not delete. I'm doing a little experimentation to learn a bit more about LR .
Yhis is as a said, the import dialog. It listed the filesystem folders but does not have access to other filesystem commands. The Folder panel in the Library has access to some filesystem commands (but not all). You can ADD, MOVE (drag and drop), RENAME, and when appropriate DELETE a folder. You can not used the filesystem command "COPY"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back