• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Deleting companion jpegs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill R

WFRimaging
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
How do I delete companion jpegs from my Lr Classic library without deleting the non-companion jpegs?

Do the companion JPEGs show up as separate thumbnails in your Library grid view, e.g.

1585077674141.png

or are they being treated as "sidecars" by LR, as shown in the Metadata panel:

1585078182256.png

Do the companion JPEGs show up as separate thumbnails in your Library grid view, e.g.

View attachment 14184

or are they being treated as "sidecars" by LR, as shown in the Metadata panel:

View attachment 14185
The issue for me is "side car" jpegs, thanks. I got the answer in the califdan's posting, A bit laborious , and I urge Adobe to automate this process!

Thanks John, I'll check that for myself and update that comment.

Confirmed, Folder > Synchronize does get rid of the RAW+JPEG label. Thanks.

John,

I like how this script automates a tedious and potentially error-prone task. Is there any chance you could add a matching date check? I'm not claiming that this is best practice, but I have created some JPGs with DEVELOP and then stored those JPGs in the same folder as the RAW. With the matching date check, your script would not delete such JPGs.

Phil Burton

PS Yes, I know I should learn lua, and now that Governor Gavin Newsom (USA, California) has ordered me to stay in my house, I have more time for that. However, there is also a big backlog of imports, lots of DEVELOP features to learn well, etc. Lightroom is great but it's also a time sink.

To be frank, Phil, I don't like the idea of changing that script. Deleting files is a red line that I wouldn't usually cross, but I do use this script with my own pictures and it carefully limits the potential damage!

But now you've got time on your hands, hacking such a script might be a practical way to learn Lua....

John

To be frank, Phil, I don't like the idea of changing that script. Deleting files is a red line that I wouldn't usually cross, but I do use this script with my own pictures and it carefully limits the potential damage!

But now you've got time on your hands, hacking such a script might be a practical way to learn Lua....

John
John,

Ok, but give me one or two hints to get started. From what little I've read, there aren't too many resources for learning lua.

I'd suggest reading that script carefully, Phil, then looking at the SDK and maybe at one or two other scripts I've posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back