• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Delete Keywords globally

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyM

Lightroom Version Number
LR CC v5.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hello. I just migrated ~23,000 photos from LrC to LR. Somehow I managed to get a list of unwanted keywords . See attached. The keywords all begin with the word "label_"
Do you know of an easy way to globally delete unwanted keywords?
I have been selecting the keyword to display all of the pics with that keyword. Then I delete the keyword from the pictures. This is tedious. there are literally hundreds of unwanted keywords...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Monty

Attachments

• CleanShot 2022-06-27 at 08.41.12@2x.png
    CleanShot 2022-06-27 at [email protected]
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
I don't think there's an easier way than the "one at a time" method, as I don't think it's possible to do a multiple select in order to do a multiple delete.

It would have been a lot easier to clean out that unwanted data in LrC before doing the migration, but that of course is said with the benefit of hindsight.

I agree, it would have been much easier in LrC. I didn’t realize they were there,. :(
I have gotten very good at deleting the keywords. I click on the search icon then CMD-v “keyword:label” and the unwanted keywords appear. Scrolling to the keywords is not necessary.
Thanks for your reply Jim

@hanoman I believe the Teekesselchen Duplicate Finder is a Plugin for Lightroom-Classic, and not Lightroom (Cloud version). Also it is for finding duplicate images (not Keywords).
Lightroom-Classic can easily find all Keyworded images from the Keyword List panel, but not so Lightroom.

I suspect the keyword mess was caused by a plugin I used in LrC to detect duplicates.

I have successfully cleaned things up. I wrote a Keyboard Maestro script to help me out. A couple of keystrokes and a mouse click would delete one keyword. I flew though it.

Thanks for your imput
Monty

@hanoman I believe the Teekesselchen Duplicate Finder is a Plugin for Lightroom-Classic, and not Lightroom (Cloud version). Also it is for finding duplicate images (not Keywords).
Lightroom-Classic can easily find all Keyworded images from the Keyword List panel, but not so Lightroom.
Rob, the issue is that when a user migrates an existing Classic catalog to the cloud, the migration process attempts to deal with the fact that Classic supports Labels, but Lightroom does not. Typically a user would be using the standard Label Set (thus used to denote colours), so in that situation the migration would add a keyword to the image in the form of "label_green, label_red, etc." when it finds those words specified in the Label text field in the Metadata panel.

We tend to think of them as "colour" labels, when in fact they are really just a text field which the user can use in a different way. I suspect therefore that the duplicates detection plug-in may have used the Label text field for it's own notations, which the Lightroom migration process duly converted to (unwanted) keywords. Or it created specific keywords in that form, which are also transferred to Lightroom during migration.

One trick that might make it a bit faster... select all of the photos in Grid view... the Keyword panel should show all of the keywords "applied to some" and then you can click on each of the label keywords to delete them from all photos. It's not fast, but it might be a bit faster than one at a time.

One trick that might make it a bit faster... select all of the photos in Grid view... the Keyword panel should show all of the keywords "applied to some" and then you can click on each of the label keywords to delete them from all photos. It's not fast, but it might be a bit faster than one at a time.
Yeah, I thought of that as well, but I'm not sure it'll really be any faster. The problem is that when you've selected All Photos, then opened the Keywords panel to see the entire set of keywords in the "Applied to Some" section, the only initial option when hovering over a specific keyword appears to be to apply the keyword to all images (which will be where it will really slow down). Only when the keyword has been applied to all and thus appears in the "Applied to all" section does the option to delete that keyword become available via the hover process.

Unless you've got a workaround for that?

Only when the keyword has been applied to all and thus appears in the "Applied to all" section does the option to delete that keyword become available via the hover process.

Ah yes, you're absolutely right as usual!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back