• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Delete from disk.

segref

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom version: 6.13 [ 1141928 ]
Operating System
Windows 10
I have deleted some files in LR6 and now need to recover them. They are not in the recycle bin.
What is the process when LR deletes a file.
Is the first character in the name replaced with a token and the file left to occupy unallocated disk space. I.e it can be recovered.
Or is it totally wiped from the disk or is it moved to another location, if so, where.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Normally the files are put into the recycle bin, though if your bin was too full, or other settings prevented that, they would have been deleted by an operating system call like a "normal" delete, so your question becomes a windows issue not a LR issue.

There are a lot of "undelete" programs floating around out there. I have no personal experience with them, but all (for NTFS anyway) are predicated on the file being put into an unallocated state, meaning that they can be overwritten by any activity on the computer. So the first thing to do is stop using the disk drive involved, remove or unmount if it is a separate drive that can be, or for the C drive just shut down the computer and use another one to research and find the undelete program you want to try.

I'm assuming you did not back them up before they were deleted? That's the best way to recover of course.

segref

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Thanks Ferguson.
LR6 has never put my deletes in the recycle bin and a search through preferences has found nowhere to change that behaviour.
I do use various recovery software on occasions but this is a slow and labour intensive process.
Unfortunately, in this instance, it did not recover the files I needed but did recover stuff from 12 month ago.
Can you point me to the settings to change the way LR handles deletes.
John

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Can you point me to the settings to change the way LR handles deletes.
There are no settings for that. AFAIK, Lightroom asks the OS to do this, so if the images do not go to the recycle bin, then that is a problem with the OS not doing that. It know this can happen with images on servers.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
On my windows 10 system, Lightroom-deleted files go into the Recycle Bin. When you right click on the Recycle Bin icon and choose Properties, does the disk where your images are kept allow moves to the Recycle Bin?

2019-10-25 19_21_18-Window.png

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
And I doubt this is your issue, but just to be complete, when you delete if you accidentally hit the "remove" as opposed to "delete from disk" they disappear from the catalog views of your folder, but remain in the original folder, hiding in plain sight as it were. It's always useful to do the occasional sync of top level folders and see how many files Lightroom finds missing. "Remove" is the default by the way, if you just hit the delete key, so it's easy to do.

delete_remove.jpg