• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Delete--> delete from disk really does just that now?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

f8lee

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Running the latest version on an M1 MacBook Pro (and other than the apparently known issue of it quitting suddenly if I go to the Map module immediately after importing images everything works fine) but this seems like new behavior.

Before, when I would select one or a thousand images and pres the delete key, then choose the "delete from disk" option, those image files were sent to the trash. I have in fact had occasion to re-import a few files that I inadvertently had deleted, so I know that's how it used to be.

Now, though, once I select "delete from disk" the files are totally gone - the trash can remains empty.

Obviously I need to be more careful when I delete going forward, but if anyone else didn't know this I hope it helps as a warning.

Where do you store the images? This can happen if they are stored on a disk that is formatted in a way that does not support the MacOS trash folder, such as ExFAT.

Also to add to Johan’s reply, images over a certain size can be deleted automatically if there is not enough space in the Trash Bin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also to add to Johan’s reply, images over a certain size can be deleted automatically if there is not enough space in the Trash Bin.
Really? I doubt there is ever not enough space. The trash bin does not require any extra space. All that trashing a file does is rename its path to .Trash/......

Really? I doubt there is ever not enough space. The trash bin does not require any extra space. All that trashing a file does is rename its path to .Trash/......

MacOS uses the Free Space for the .trash file(folder?). Not enough free space, then there is usually a warning (which might be suppressed or ignored by Lightroom) All of the files in the Trash bin take up room on the disk. However before a file is moved to .Trash. The MOVE operation is actually a COPY followed by a DELETE. That means the target file exists twice on the disk until the Copy has been verified.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8285054

MacOS uses the Free Space for the .trash file(folder?). Not enough free space, then there is usually a warning (which might be suppressed or ignored by Lightroom) All of the files in the Trash bin take up room on the disk. However before a file is moved to .Trash. The MOVE operation is actually a COPY followed by a DELETE. That means the target file exists twice on the disk until the Copy has been verified.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8285054

OK, so apparently you can get this error after all (but the OP did not get that error, he simply sees the files disappear instead of in the trash). I'm pretty sure files are not copied when trashed, however. We have had this discussion before. If they were copied then it would take a lot of time to trash hundreds of files. In reality you can move hundreds of files to the trash in an instant. Same for very big files. I can trash Gigabytes in a second. That's because trashing simply renames.

Apparently there will be problems if your disk is really, really full, but that must be for another reason. Something to do with the file system no doubt, but not with copying. The link does not make it clear what really causes the error message. Also be aware that this discussion is from 2018, so not about a recent version of MacOS and definitely not about an APFS formatted disk like the M1 Mac of the OP has.

OK, so apparently you can get this error after all (but the OP did not get that error, he simply sees the files disappear instead of in the trash). I'm pretty sure files are not copied when trashed, however. We have had this discussion before. If they were copied then it would take a lot of time to trash hundreds of files. In reality you can move hundreds of files to the trash in an instant. Same for very big files. I can trash Gigabytes in a second. That's because trashing simply renames.

Apparently there will be problems if your disk is really, really full, but that must be for another reason. Something to do with the file system no doubt, but not with copying. The link does not make it clear what really causes the error message. Also be aware that this discussion is from 2018, so not about a recent version of MacOS and definitely not about an APFS formatted disk like the M1 Mac of the OP has.

The API that Lightroom uses should check for a warning or error message. If message handling is implemented correctly in Lightroom Classic, the API should pass the message back to the user for handling. I’ve seen other cases whe message handling has not been implemented correctly. I’d guess that this is another instance of LrC not handling warning/error messages properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back