• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Dehaze Slider missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppage

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
l
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello All, first time poster. After a recent update was installed, I was delighted to see the Dehaze slider moved to the Presence section of the Basic Panel. I was again prompted for an update and let it install and now the dehaze slider is back under the effects panel. My current version is 2015.12 I wonder if I need to try to repeat the update?

Hi ppage, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you maybe just opened the wrong version. The version with the moved Dehaze slider is Lightroom Classic 7.3, which is more recent than 2015.12. You probably just used an old shortcut. If you open Lightroom Classic from the CC app, you'll know you opened the right one.

That certainly was the case. i found the correct executable and I am back in business. Thank-You so much!

Why do you need to simulate it? You have the actual slider in the brush, radial, and graduated filers. If you don't, it may be that you are running an older version of LR. It that's the case, what version are you running? Oh, yeah - one more thing. if the image you are editing is using an older Process version (look for lightening bolt under histogram in develop module) you'll need to bring that image up to a later Process version that supports dehaze in the 3 targeted adjustment tools.

I have the standalone Lightroom 6 for desktops. I do not have the actual slider. It was the last version where you could just buy it. I have process 12. Lightroom 6 stopped getting updates after one year, just before they introduced the Dehaze slider. I play around with a combination of increasing Contrast and Clarity and decreasing Shadow to kinda get the same effect. I just wondered if there was an optimum setting for this so I could save it as a new brush setting. I use it occasionally in landscape pictures to minimize haze from pollution in the distance.

OK fair enough. I have gotten some good mileage with the Blacks control. It may be called something different in LR6, but it's the one representing the darkest parts of the image (darker than "Shadows".

You can search this, and other forums, for "dehaze" in the title and find a large number of threads pertaining to this problem. However, here's piece of text I wrote for my camera club in October of 2017, specifically for LR6 users who want dehaze. I do not know if if any of this still works or not and some of the folder locations may have changed. I also apologize for the length but here goes.....

Hi all, (10/3/2017)

You never stop learning. I subscribe to a very nice daily newsletter by Tim Grey ( Ask Tim Grey – Answers for Photographers… ) which contains Lightroom and Photoshop tips in form of user questions with answers by Tim. I find that I agree with Tim over 98% of the time. Mostly, he just validates what I already know but today I learned something new. There is a trick to allow the use of the Dehaze filter in LR6.

As you know, Adobe sells LR either as a standalone (perpetual license) version which is currently LR6.x ($149). They also will rent Lightroom to you along with Photoshop, LR mobile and some cloud storage for $10/month. The rental is called CC2015.x. In each case you get bug fixes and new camera support for free. However, most new features are only supplied to the rental version. If you have LR6 you won’t get them until they release LR7 (which is about a year and a quarter late already – so who know if or when it will ever come out). One of those features is the very useful Dehaze Filter which is only in the rental version.

Well, Tim Grey explained a work around to allow you to use the Dehaze filter even if you have the LR6 version. So, here’s the deal. You can’t get the actual slider in your LR6 version, but you can use develop presets that apply the filter if someone (like me) was kind enough to create them from LR CC2015. I didn’t follow Tim’s method exactly. For one thing I left “process version” out of the preset. I’m not going to go into a long discussion of what a process version is but you can read about it on your own. What this means is that if your image was imported in a pre LR6 version you will need to update it to the latest process version before you apply the presets. The other thing I’m doing different than Tim is that I’m not using the Import/Export method to get these preset to you. I’m saving them on my Google Drive where you can copy them.

Here’s what you need to do:

1) Download the “Dehaze” folder from my Google Drive here: Dehaze - Google Drive . Unzip the downloaded file to your desktop. This will result in a folder called “Dehaze”

2) Find out where your Lightroom presets are being kept. This is usually in

• PC: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom
  • Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / <your user name> / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom
  • Or, if you are keeping your presets with your catalog (a preferences setting), there will be a “Lightroom Settings” folder in the same folder where your catalog is
To find out exactly where it is,

• Go to the Preferences dialog by selecting Preferences from the Edit (Windows) or Lightroom (Macintosh) menu on the menu bar.
  • Go to the Presets tab in the Preferences dialog.
  • Click the "Show Lightroom Presets Folder" button to open a window in your operating system that will show the Lightroom folder where presets are stored.
3) Close Lightroom

4) Copy the downloaded Dehaze folder into the folder called “Develop Presets” in the folder you found in step 2

5) Restart Lightroom

In the Develop Module, in the left panel group, in the Presets panel you should see a folder called “Dehaze” and inside it are 11 presets – one each of 11 different Dehaze values. On any image you want, just click the preset for the amount of dehaze you want to add or remove. These are in steps of 20 from -100 to +100

Is this as good as having the actual slider in LR CC/2015? No. When you use it on an image it will produce the same results as the real thing would but there are limitations.

1) You cannot use it in a localized area (i.e., within the Radial tool, the Gradient tool, or the brush tool)

2) You can only apply it at increments of 20 (e.g., +20, +40, etc.) not fine finessed values (BTW if you find you need finer increments let me know & I’ll do it by 10’s rather that 20’s

I no longer have LR6 installed so haven’t been able to actually test these instructions. If you give it a try, let me know who it went.

Thanks -- Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back